Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, November 12, 2015

My Heart's Condition & Finances

This morning I felt led to read from Malachi.  This book is quite familiar to me, but not one I frequent, so I was wondering why the Lord would direct me there.  Here are the verses I am focused on - Malachi 3:7-15 NIV:

[7] "Ever since the time of your ancestors you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you,” says the Lord Almighty.“

But you ask, 'How are we to return?'

[8] “Will a mere mortal rob God? Yet you rob me.“

But you ask, 'How are we robbing you?'

“In tithes and offerings. [9] You are under a curse---your whole nation---because you are robbing me. [10] Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it. [11] I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe, ” says the Lord Almighty. [12] “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the Lord Almighty.

[13] “You have spoken arrogantly against me,” says the Lord.“

Yet you ask, 'What have we said against you?'

[14] “You have said, 'It is futile to serve God. What do we gain by carrying out his requirements and going about like mourners before the Lord Almighty? [15] But now we call the arrogant blessed. Certainly evildoers prosper, and even when they put God to the test, they get away with it.' ”

Clearly the Lord is after something in my heart concerning finances, and after reading these verses I understand what He is pointing at in my life.  Yesterday, I got some disappointing news at work, that will likely impact me negatively in the financial realm.  Needless to say, this type of news is  not welcomed in any house, and especially here as we continue to work to dig out from a few very tight years, and try to save for our retirement.  My immediate thought was all about me, feeling sorry for myself, disappointed in the lost opportunities that this represented.

I found myself sliding into thoughts similar to those described in verses 14 and 15.  I was allowing the enemy to fill my head with negative thoughts, even listening to some of his accusations against the Father. I believe that the Lord clearly led me to this job, and all of the jobs I have had over the last several years.  Even though I have followed the Lord, it seems true financial success has not come to pass.  Rather then looking at the myriad of blessings the Lord has poured into my life, I was focused only on my disappointment.  At the heart of the issue is a small amount of unbelief still in my life, and I have allowed this to influence my thoughts and ultimately my actions.

I am encouraged this morning to repent and change the way I think, and what I think about.  God is the source of all good things, and He loves me dearly and has provided abundantly.  He is not punishing me, nor angry with me, and He has a plan for me.  His provision and blessing will follow me every day of my life.  I will continue to believe His word, and trust in His promises and weather the present situation with grace, peace and joy from Him.

Lord, you know the weakness in me, I ask that You help me press into You, for in my weakness You are strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment