Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 16, 2015

Wealth and Our Heart's Focus

This morning I was reading in Mark's Gospel and as I read the following verses, I was reminded of a couple other verses.  The first set is the story of the rich young man, as follows - Mark 10:17-23 NIV:

[17] As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

[18] “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good---except God alone. [19] You know the commandments: 'You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother.' ”

[20] “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”

[21] Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

[22] At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. [23] Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!”

As I read those verse, two things stood out.  First, the young man RAN up to Jesus. This was not a chance encounter, by a moderately interested individual.  This young man had passion, desire and a hunger for the things of God.  Second, Jesus looked at him and loved him.  He didn't look at him with disdain. He didn't judge him for what was in his heart, He Loved him. The Lord knew what was in his heart, yet Jesus loved him.  Jesus gave him an opportunity to step free of those things that kept him bound, those things he had given his heart to, and the whole time Jesus loved him.

When I read those verses, I was immediately reminded of the parable of the sower and the seeds. The following is the description the Lord gives of one of the types of soil - Matthew 13:22 NIV:  "The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful."

When I look at the young man's reaction, I see exactly what Jesus described.  The young man welcomed the word, took it in and wanted to follow Jesus. However, he had given his heart to his wealth, to the good things, to pursuing more wealth. Now instead of being free to do what he wanted because he had the money to do so, he was actually bound by the worries, concerns and desires for wealth. He was unable to free himself so that he could be concerned with the proclamation of the Gospel, and following Jesus, producing much fruit.  That is exactly what Jesus talked about, for the deceitfulness of wealth is that it will bring you freedom, when in reality it can cause a bit of a black-hole that draws you deeper in, taking your heart focus away from the things of God.

In our modern day this can look like a desire to have nice things, a nice house and car, and such, but then needing to work constantly to pay for those things.  No freedom to pick up and go where the Lord might call.  Many of us can become enslaved to our needs and wants, always desiring more, and having to work harder and harder to get those things.  When I look at my own life, I see so many things I need to take care of, that I need to be about, including my job which requires much focus and work.  I realize that I am not nearly as free as I could be, or might desire to be.

The challenge is to hold those things lightly, to be willing to change our life-style or part ways with those things that hold us back, or make us less fruitful than we might desire.  A good question to consider is are we willing to lay aside our trappings of wealth and luxury to pursue the things of God?  If our hearts struggle with that question, then we are pretty much like the young man in the story from Mark.  The good news is that Jesus sees our heart, and loves us.  He invites us into relationship with Him, and He will help us.

In a final reflection, my Dad did exactly what the young man was challenged to do.  He sold most everything we had, leaving a very comfortable life, a great job, and moved up to Northern Minnesota to live in a much smaller house, with far fewer nice things, and much less money, all so that he could follow God more closely.  As a teenager I was significantly affected, but I have to say, my  life was never happier nor more free.  We had much less, but we had joy, and each other.  This is certainly not the call for all people, nor is Jesus' invitation to the first young man, but my experience certainly demonstrated the truth of Jesus' words in these two stories.

My encouragement this day is to consider the state of my heart and life and what I am focused on.  Am I constrained by my lifestyle and "wealth" in such a way that I am unfruitful, or less fruitful than I  might be otherwise?  Have I turned down the invitation of the Lord out of concern for my things, my lifestyle?  Am I good soil, bearing much fruit?

Lord, help me to see myself clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment