Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, June 16, 2023

How The Lord Deals With Failure


This morning I am reflecting on the time the disciples were not able to heal the epileptic boy, it is found in all 3 of the synoptic Gospels, and Mark and Matthew place the event very close to the end of Jesus ministry, Luke has the event towards the end, but adds some thing not found in Mark and Matthew, the sending out of the 72 following this event.  I wanted to look at the connection, for it is my conjecture that the Lord didn't want that event and failure to be their last experience of ministry, before His Passion and Death.  

Here is the story as Luke recorded it... this immediately follows Jesus transfiguration - Luke 9:37-43a NIV:

[37] "The next day, when they came down from the mountain, a large crowd met him. [38] A man in the crowd called out, “Teacher, I beg you to look at my son, for he is my only child. [39] A spirit seizes him and he suddenly screams; it throws him into convulsions so that he foams at the mouth. It scarcely ever leaves him and is destroying him. [40] I begged your disciples to drive it out, but they could not.” 

[41] “You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you and put up with you? Bring your son here.” 

[42] Even while the boy was coming, the demon threw him to the ground in a convulsion. But Jesus rebuked the impure spirit, healed the boy and gave him back to his father. [43] And they were all amazed at the greatness of God."

Mark adds an interesting note in his version - Mark 9:28-29 NIV: "After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn't we drive it out?” [29] He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer. ”

While I could focus on Jesus' response in Luke 9:41, which I have looked at previously, I wanted to reflect on the impact this would have had on the disciples.  Mark adds another note to the beginning of the story which is pertinent - Mark 9:14 NIV: "When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them."  The argument was about the fact that they couldn't heal the boy.  Not only were the disciples unable to heal, but they were being verbally attacked about their failure.  They were obviously concerned, and following the healing they asked Jesus about it in private.  Jesus gave them insight and understanding, and I am sure that lit a bit of a fire in the disciples to make sure that didn't happen to them again... at least I know I would feel that way, but then again, fear of man and fear of failure can sometimes cause the opposite affect, the withdrawing, and not risking failure again.  

I imagine that this particular case had really caused a certain level of fear and confusion.  I can imagine that they had each taken a shot at healing the boy and none had been successful.  We do know that Peter, James and John were with Jesus, so they hadn't had a chance to take their shot, but I think probably the others had...  and then the teachers of the law started in on them! I think it was more concerning than we read.

Anyway, the real question is how did the Lord handle this situation?  In Luke 10, the following chapter, we find these verses - Luke 10:1-2,17-21 NIV:

[1] After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go. [2] He told them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field. 

[17] The seventy-two returned with joy and said, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.” 

[18] He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. [19] I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. [20] However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” 

[21] At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do."

What a wonderful follow-on to the events in previous chapter.  Jesus instead of allowing them to wallow in their failure, sends them and a whole bunch more out on their own to minister.  They come back rejoicing in that they had been victorious in confronting demons when they stood under the name of Jesus!  Jesus proclaimed that He saw satan fall as a result of their ministry!  What a complete and total reversal!  

I am so encouraged by the way the Lord dealt with their failure, He gave them a second chance, and sent them out!  He didn't require them to go back through the healing course again, the casting out demons course, or require an extended time of fasting and prayer.  He looked them in the eyes and said, "you got this, minister in my name and you will be fine!'  He sent them out as His heralds, going to all the places He intended to visit (at least 36 towns or villages) and they all were successful, as far as we know.  

I find Jesus last statement in verse 21 particularly helpful.  Jesus in praying to His Father said, "You have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children."  I think this references the previous tussle the disciples had with the teachers of the law!  I also think it sets a very nice example of the requirements to follow Jesus, be like little children.  Advanced education, learning and training isn't required, but instead we are to look to Jesus and allow Him to reveal the hidden truths, and then go do what He tells us to do!

Oh Lord, help me to hear Your words and be encouraged!  Help me to press past my own fear and failure into simple obedience.  Help me to still the religious accusations in my own head, and believe that in Your Name, and as Your representative, that I can minister as well!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment