Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, June 30, 2023

Realign, Refocus


This morning I felt led to read from Paul's letter to the Philippians 3:3-11 NIV:

[3] "For it is we who are the circumcision, we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh--- [4] though I myself have reasons for such confidence. 

If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: [5] circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; [6] as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless. 

[7] But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. [8] What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ [9] and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ---the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. [10] I want to know Christ---yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, [11] and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead."

It is always good for me to read these verses, for Paul helps me put my life in proper perspective.  In light of our eternal reward, in light of our pursuit of deepening relationship with the Lord, no other accomplishment is of significant value.  No job, no success, no home, no car, no bank account, has any true value.  He is the one we should be pursuing with all we have, not to earn a reward, but to know Him, for love of Him.  

I work with microwave communications, where it is very important to have the transmitting antenna and receiving antenna perfectly aligned.  If there is a damaging wind, we may need to re-align those antennas.  These verses are like that for me, a realignment of focus.

I go back to a recent reflection on Jesus' conversation concerning the two most important commandments, found in all three of the Synoptic Gospels, and `will look at the version found in Mark 12:29-31 NIV:

[29] “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. [30] Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' [31] The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these.” 

Imagine if we were able to live these out in our lives, coupled with the perspective  that Paul shared!  

If our lives were focused on loving the Lord and loving our neighbor, loving one another, what would that truly look like?

If this is the goal, how should I change my life, my thoughts and actions?

What a wonderful invitation to change the way I think and act.  I like the way Graham Cooke says it (paraphrased here) "if the way you have been thinking has led you here, then have another thought, or think again!"

Lord, please help me, for it is easy to become distracted and diverted in this life from what is most important!  Help me to realign my thoughts and pursuits to what is most important!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment