Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, June 2, 2023

Its About Love


This morning I felt led to pickup my reflection in the same chapter as I was reading yesterday.  I love the simplicity of these passages from Paul's letter to the Romans 13:8-11 NIV:

[8] "Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. [9] The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” [10] Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. 

[11] And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed."

Often we miss some of the transition statements that I think are so important. In verse 11, Paul is pointing back to verses 8-10, and giving the reason we should pay attention to his encouragements.  We shouldn't read the Bible straight through, it is meant to be read backwards, forwards, back and forth between related passages, and as a complete work.  If we don't we miss important things, we miss connections, and we take things out of context, not just in the surrounding passages but in the overall perspective of the complete Gospel.  

We should read the Old Testament in light of the revelation of Jesus, and read the New Testament in light of the revelation of Jesus.  We must be familiar with Him, first and foremost.  If we are to clothe ourselves in Him, we must know Him, intimately, have experience with Him, and know how He will respond.

I am reminded of my relationship with my honey.  I can generally tell you how she will react, even sometimes what she will say.  I have spent 37 years getting to know her, and yet there are times that she surprises me.  In the same way that there is still more to my honey to know, and appreciate, I will never stop learning about Jesus, knowing Him, experiencing Him.  Because I know my wife so well, I can represent her in most situations.  It is my goal to be able to do the same of Jesus.

Going back to the preceding verses, Paul echoes our Command from Jesus and it is so simple, and yet so complete.  

We are to love one another!  

We are to love one another the way He loves us!  

We are to love one another the way we love ourselves!

As I read those three simple statements, I see the issue for many of us.  We struggle with one of all of those statements.  We may not love ourselves, we may not know how the Lord loves us, and we struggle with loving others for these simple reasons. 

If we are self-critical, how can we look at others in any different light?

If we think that we are unlovable, how can we love others better?

If we think we are too damaged, or too sinful, or too whatever to be loved by Jesus, we don't know Jesus, and we will struggle to represent His love to others.

Oh Lord, the world needs Your love!  Help us to know You, to know Your Love, to love ourselves, and to love one another with this love!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment