Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, June 23, 2023

The "Receipt" of Our Salvation


This morning I woke up from an interesting dream, and thought there was a theme worth investigating. 

In my dream I had ordered and paid for something online, and picked it up at the store.  I was so excited to see the contents I opened the box right there and walked away to get a better view of the contents.  I was headed out of the store and an employee stopped me and told me I had to pay for the items in my hands. I tried to explain I had already paid for them, but when I went back I couldn't find the box, and I didn't have my phone on me, which would have allowed me to show my order, etc.  He wouldn't let me leave without paying and I wasn't going to pay for something I already owned... and that is where I woke up.

I am always amazed at the countless themes and dreams, sometimes there is a spiritual theme, others not so much.  As I reflected on this dream this morning, it seemed to relate to the Gospel of Grace, vs. religion and works.  Hopefully I can draw the parallels, and uncover some helpful truth. 

In the dream I was effectively missing the receipt, or proof that I paid.  Several stores I have frequented ask to see your receipt upon leaving to verify that you have paid for all the things in your shopping cart, and this store had a similar policy.  The receipt is what says you own the things in your possession, and have a right to them.

As I was thinking about this, I was reminded of a couple of verses in the New Testament where we are told the in-filling of the Holy Spirit is the seal guaranteeing our salvation.  Here are a couple of those verses:

Ephesians 1:13-14 NIV:
[13] "And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, [14] who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession---to the praise of his glory."

2 Corinthians 1:21-22 NIV:
[21] "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, [22] set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come."

The Greek word that is translated "seal" is the word sphragizo:

4972 sphragízō (from 4973 /sphragís, "a seal") – properly, to seal (affix) with a signet ring or other instrument to stamp (a roller or seal), i.e. to attest ownershipauthorizing (validating) what is sealed.

4972 /sphragízō ("to seal") signifies ownership and the full security carried by the backing (full authority) of the owner. "Sealing" in the ancient world served as a "legal signature" which guaranteed the promise (contents) of what was sealed.

In our more common English this would be our receipt or deed of ownership.  According to the verses above, when we receive the Holy Spirit, this is God's mark of ownership over us, the proof that He paid for us, and has ownership and full authority, and backs this with His full authority.  Any debt has been paid, and we are His.  Period! 

In my dream I had paid for the package, but according to the Gospel of Grace, Jesus has paid for all our debts, and salvation is available to those of us who turn to Him, as a free gift.  We can't earn it, can't pay for it, but receive it as a gift of inestimable value.  

The gospel of works, which is really the spirit of religion, would say that we have to earn this gift of salvation, and it is always in danger of being repossessed due to sin.  Thus we must work every day, but at best we are never sure until the moment of our death whether or not we are saved, because we might have built up too much of a debt from all our sins.  Effectively, this is paying for something that has already been paid for by Jesus.

This is one reason the receipt of the Holy Spirit into our hearts is so important, it is proof that we have been paid for by Jesus!  The Holy Spirit in us, guarantees what is to come!  Praise God!  If we have Holy Spirit in us, we can show that receipt to those that would try to make us pay again!    Having the Holy Spirit and operating in His gifts is supposed to help us be at peace regarding our salvation! 

When I pay off my house, or car, or anything, I don't worry that someone will come and take ownership away from me.  There is no debt associated with whatever I fully own, and it is mine.  Holy Spirit is that seal over our lives concerning salvation, which is of far greater worth than any house, car, gem or jewel!

This morning I am encouraged that receiving the Holy Spirit is important in our lives, and apparently the Lord thinks so too (see Acts 1:4-5).  If you have not experienced this filling of the Holy Spirit, I encourage you to ask God to so seal you!  We find in Acts 8 the story of John and Peter going to Samaria to pray for the new believers who had not yet received the Holy Spirit.  If you have not, you can ask other believers to pray for you to receive the Holy Spirit just like they did.

Acts 8:14-17 NIV
[14] "When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. [15] When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, [16] because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. [17] Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit."

Thank Holy Spirit for leading us, guiding, filling us, empowering us and sealing us!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment