Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Sinners Were ALL Gathering


Recently I have been reflecting on Jesus' teachings about seeking the lost, and this morning I opened my Bible right up to one of his most well known teachings on this subject, found in Luke 15:1-7 NIV:

[1] "Now the tax collectors and sinners were all gathering around to hear Jesus. [2] But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, “This man welcomes sinners and eats with them.” 

[3] Then Jesus told them this parable: [4] “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn't he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? [5] And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders [6] and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.' [7] I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent."

While I love the parable, what really caught my eye this morning was the first verse, "Now the tax collectors and sinners were ALL gathering around to hear Jesus."  

Oh that this would be true of the Church, and true for every church, that their message would be so attractive to sinners that they would ALL gather around to hear!  

Can you even imagine that?

Jesus clearly is giving direction to the teachers of the Law, and to His disciples as well, there is great value in the lost sheep!  

Imagine all heaven being focused on the winning of the Lost!

In my mind I was reminded of almost every home in Kansas City being focused on the Superbowl last year, as the Chief's played.  At least at my house I was every attentive to the game and everything the Chief's did well I cheered about.

Imagine in Heaven the same level of attention being paid and cheered when one of the lost is found and saved!  What a great experience that must be!

Going back to the verses, I like to ask why.  Why did sinners and tax collectors ALL gather to hear Jesus?  

What do we like to hear?  What catches our attention, or opens our ears?  What draws us to a person?

While each of us is unique, I think there are a few things we can learn from the Lord, just through observation, of these verses and others.

1) Sinners did not feel threatened by Jesus

2) Jesus gave His attention to sinners and spoke to them

3) Jesus healed sinners (John 5:11)

4) Jesus forgave sinners (Luke 5:20)

5) Jesus did not condemn sinners (John 8:11)


Maybe Jesus didn't call them sinners.  

Maybe He treated them as if they had value, and gave them His attention!  

Maybe He talked to them, and listened to them!

Maybe He loved them!  

Maybe He fed them!

Maybe He served them!

Maybe He blessed them!!   

Maybe He was for them!

Maybe He saw sinners as those who were not rightly related to the Father, so He showed them what the Father was like!  

Maybe He related to them first, before He told them to sin no more.

Oh that we would learn to minister as Jesus did!  We must learn to love as Jesus loved, and that obviously includes sinners!  Thankfully that is the case, for I certainly know I am one!

Lord, I ask that you help us to hear what You are saying!  There is great value placed on the Lost by Heaven!  We are called to seek the lost and introduce them to You!  Help us to stop rejecting and judging the very ones we should be seeking!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment