Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Repentance ISN"T A Bad Word!


Yesterday, while having breakfast with a good friend, we were talking briefly about the state of the Church, and I said something that caught my attention, and I figured I would spend some time digging into it this morning.  We were talking about the watering-down of the Gospel, and  how some churches are trying to woo people with good programs, music, etc. and no longer are presenting the whole Gospel, and how some are almost afraid to speak about sin. My comment was, "repentance isn't a bad word, in fact repentance is the path we all took to salvation!"  As soon as I said that, I realized it would be a worthy bit for reflection, so here goes...

The very first thing we should do is define both repentance and sin, for our use of these words has become somewhat detached from their true meaning, at least in my opinion.  For a proper definition, I thin it helpful to go back to the original language of scripture for the New Testament, which is Greek.  Although Jesus spoke in Aramaic, it was recorded  by the authors of the Gospels in Greek.  The following defitions are from Strong's.

The Greek word translated repentance is metanoeo:

3340 metanoéō (from 3326 /metá, "changed after being with" and 3539 /noiéō, "think") – properly, "think differently after," "after a change of mind"; to repent (literally, "think differently afterwards").  

The Greek word translated sin is hamartia:

266 hamartía (a feminine noun derived from 1 /A "not" and 3313 /méros, "a part, share of") – properly, no-share ("no part of"); loss (forfeiture) because not hitting the target; sin (missing the mark).

If we put these together, repentance for sin could be defined as thinking differently after we missed the mark or the target, which is not so scary at all!  

It seems that we have turned sin into a guarantee of punishment from God for being bad.  Repentance has become this term of judgment, where we require people who are bad to change before we accept them or let them into the church.  Both of those statements might be a bit extreme, but think about how we have heard them preached about or used in the church?

Going back to the term used for sin, if it means missing the mark, the question is what is the mark, or target that we should be aiming at?  Is it a list of good or acceptable behavior?  Is it the Law of the Covenant? Is it the absense of any of the lists of sins provided by Jesus or authors of the New Testament? 

If we go back to the conversation Jesus had with an expert of the law found in all three Synoptic Gospel's, I think we can begin to understand what the target is for our life.  Here is the version of the occurrence from Luke 10:25-27 NIV:

[25] "On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 

[26] “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” 

[27] He answered, “ 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind' ; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' ”

Jesus commended the man for his response, and at the heart of both statements is the relational word love.  We are commanded to love God and love others.  Jesus actually gave us a New Commandment in John 13:34 NIV:  “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."  

Again, the new command is to love as Jesus loved, the old commands were to love God and love others.  I think love might just be the mark or the target!  So rather than a long laundry list of sins or wrong behavior, maybe our target should be focused on loving God and loving others.  If this is the case, then missing the mark would be behavior or, more importantly, a heart attitude that is not doing so, not loving God, or not loving people as Jesus loves them!  

The problem for many with this definition, is it seems we are always missing the bullseye, or at least I know in my case this is the case.  If I reflect back over my day, I will see all sorts of times that my actions, words, or thoughts were not loving towards God or others. 

If my definition of sin makes me think I am going to be punished for my sin, my outlook on life would be very grim with this type of definition.

This opens my eyes to a bigger problem with this type of definition: 

We can't judge people's sin, if we can't identify it, and we don't know whats in other people's hearts.

We can't keep score of how we are making progress, or how pure we are with this type of definition.

Rules are easier!

Relationships are multifaceted, and unique, and difficult to judge!

How do we know what sin is?

I believe these are some of the reasons so many have preached the rules version, and have caused us to lose the relational context.

Going back to the earlier theme of repentance, if this definition of sin is correct, 'missing the mark of loving God and loving one another as Jesus loves', then repentance is choosing to think or act differently, after looking at the facts of our life realizing that we have failed in loving as commanded.  In other words, after reviewing the day, looking at the evidence of our activity and thoughts and choosing to do better tomorrow, and then actually working throughout the next day to do better!   

That is not scary at all, in fact I would argue that it is actually really healthy!

I would like to propose that repentance is actually the healthiest this we can do!  I repent multiple times a day, as I realize my thoughts or actions aren't in line with loving God or others as Jesus loves them!  I am constantly realizing that I am judging people in my heart, mind and even words, and deciding to change!  That is repentance!

Repentance is the path towards being more like Christ.  It is in viewing my thoughts and actions and realizing that I am not acting as He would and then changing one or both, so that I might be more like Him!  This is repentance!  

As a Christian, a follower of Christ, as one working to emulate, and represent Him in our daily walk,  I think repentance must be our daily, even hourly practice.  I don't need ashes and sackcloth and a sad look on my face,  I need to recognize I can do better (think) and then choose to actually do better.

Repentance is also the door through which we all came to salvation!  At some point we recognized (had a thought) that we needed relationship with God, that our present life was not leading towards life, towards Him.  We made a choice and changed!  One could say that in that moment, we hit the bulls-eye, we chose to love God, chose to be in relationship with Him!  We chose Him over our situation, our life circumstances, our own selfish idea of how to live.  

Jesus through His death, Resurrection and Ascension made this all possible!  He opened the way for relationship with God, He enabled us to actually hit the bulls-eye!  

Oh, that we might embrace the relational context of our faith and stop treating ourselves and others like we are rule breakers!  It is about relationship, and at the very center is the Lord!   

Let us press forward, embracing the invitation to change, the opportunity to become more like Him!  Let us learn to love Him and others!  Let us recognize when we are missing the mark, and choose to do better!  Let us embrace this opportunity for repentance for it is the pathway to Him!  Repentance isn't a bad word at all!

Amen and Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment