Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

God's Overwhelming Answers!

Yesterday morning I was reading through Psalm 42 meditating on verses 1 & 2 which read, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?"  I always liked these verses because so often my own personal thirst for God is evident and the image of my soul panting after God is quite accurate.


As I was thinking about this - I kept reading the rest of the psalm and came to verse 7: "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."  I was struck by the connection between verses 1 and 2 and verse 7.  Here the psalmist is praying for even a taste of water, of God's presence and God's answer is waterfalls and massive waves! 


This started me thinking about how God answers our prayers and longings for His presence.  Through His death and resurrection, He opened the way for us to have relationship with Him.  Even more, He sent the Holy Spirit to dwell in us (1 Cor 6:19).  We are thirsty for God and He answers by living in us, so that we have fountains of living water in us (John 7:38) and we should never again thirst!


His answer to this longing is so far beyond what one would ever think!  Its like the difference between a drink of water from a stream and being swept over by waves and breakers, or the roaring water of a waterfall.   I believe this is a great picture of His love for us, and how little we know of it.  We would settle for a glass - He wants to give us the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment