Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Numbering Our Days

This morning I started my time in the Word, by reading Psalm 90.  Interestingly this Psalm was actually written by Moses.  Anyway, it was verse 12 that caught my attention. It reads, "Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Earlier in the Psalm Moses was talking about our lives being limited to 70 or 80 years, and how compared to God, this is as nothing.  


I was thinking how true this really was - how our lives here, when compared to our eternal existence are so tiny, so seemingly irrelevant.  Yet, our time here has great impact on our eternal existence.  Jesus says in Matt 6:20 that we should store up for ourselves treasures in heaven, rather than on earth.   Clearly, if we can store up treasure in heaven by our actions here, our eternal existence is impacted by our present lives.


Thus, if we gain this eternal perspective, we should rightly pray for a correct perspective on the brevity of our days here, and the importance of our actions, relative to our eternity.  I think this is the heart of wisdom that Moses is speaking about in this Psalm.  Our lives here do count in eternity.  


Lord, help me to understand this reality and live my life accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment