Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Never Underestimate God...

Last night I was reading from Acts 17, about Paul's visit to Thessalonica:
(NIV)Acts 17:1-10
When Paul and his companions had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a Jewish synagogue. [2] As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, [3] explaining and proving that the Messiah had to suffer and rise from the dead. “This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Messiah,” he said. [4] Some of the Jews were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a large number of God-fearing Greeks and quite a few prominent women.
[5] But other Jews were jealous; so they rounded up some bad characters from the marketplace, formed a mob and started a riot in the city. They rushed to Jason’s house in search of Paul and Silas in order to bring them out to the crowd. [6] But when they did not find them, they dragged Jason and some other believers before the city officials, shouting: “These men who have caused trouble all over the world have now come here, [7] and Jason has welcomed them into his house. They are all defying Caesar’s decrees, saying that there is another king, one called Jesus.” [8] When they heard this, the crowd and the city officials were thrown into turmoil. [9] Then they made Jason and the others post bond and let them go. [10] As soon as it was night, the believers sent Paul and Silas away to Berea. On arriving there, they went to the Jewish synagogue.

This morning I was reading Paul's letter to that Church: (NIV)1 Thessalonians 2:1-2
You know, brothers and sisters, that our visit to you was not without results. [2] We had previously suffered and been treated outrageously in Philippi, as you know, but with the help of our God we dared to tell you his gospel in the face of strong opposition.

I think this is amazing how just in that short period of time a church was birthed. I also find it interesting that after reading the story in Acts, I found myself thinking that the visit to Thessaloniaca had been a failure, but that He must have visited again with more success. But after reading this section from Paul's letter to them that appears to not be the case. So Paul visited for a little over three weeks, and a church was birthed. It is amazing what the Lord can accomplish through us, in even this short of a time. Also, I think its important to realize that God considers things differently than we do, where we might have seen this visit as a failure, God saw it as a great success, and was able to do much in the city. Don't underestimate the ability of God to work in any situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment