Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Our Stronghold in Times of Trouble

NIV)Psalm 37:34, 37, 39-40
Hope in the Lord and keep his way. He will exalt you to inherit the land; when the wicked are destroyed, you will see it. [37] Consider the blameless, observe the upright; a future awaits those who seek peace. [39] The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; he is their stronghold in time of trouble. [40] The Lord helps them and delivers them; he delivers them from the wicked and saves them, because they take refuge in him.

I love Psalm 37, especially verse 39 - "The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; he is their stronghold in time of trouble." The Hebrew word translated here as stronghold, and in other translations - strength is Ma`owz - pronunciation: maw-oze'

Definition 1. place or means of safety, protection, refuge, stronghold
a. place of safety, fastness, harbour, stronghold
b. refuge (of God) (fig.)
c. human protection (fig.)

A stronghold or place of fastness ultimately refers to a place you can't be driven out of by the enemy. It allows you to stand your ground and offers protection during times of warfare. This verse says that God is this for us. When trouble comes we are supposed to retreat into Him and allow Him to provide us shelter, and protection.

Graham Cooke speaks of a place of rest in the Lord that just tires the enemy out. I can imagine running to the Lord, allowing Him to enfold me in His arms, and then watching as the attacks of the enemy just bounce off of Him. In Him, the enemy can't reach me and the enemies blows can't affect Him, so in time the enemy just tires out and goes away. This is what this verse is speaking about... God saving us and protecting us from trouble, whatever form it might come in.

To be clear, this is not trouble that I caused, or that I went out and got into. Rather this is a time of trouble, a particular occurance, or instance, externally initiated.

Finally, this is a place that allows us to hold our ground. I am reminded of the verse in Ephesians 6:13:
"Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."

Its God's armor, its His protection, that allows us to stand where we are. No more two steps forward and one back, but rather the grace and strength to stand. Amen, help me Lord to run to You, rather than running around like a headless chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment