Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Devoted to Prayer


This morning I am reading from Colossians 4:2-6 NIV:

[2] "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. [3] And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. [4] Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. [5] Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. [6] Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

I really like the simplicity of verse 2 - "devote yourself to prayer, being watchful and thankful." What a simple yet significant sentence. The Greek word, here translated devote, is Proskartereo.

Definition
1. to adhere to one, be his adherent, to be devoted or constant to one
2. to be steadfastly attentive unto, to give unremitting care to a thing
3. to continue all the time in a place
4. to persevere and not to faint
5. to show one's self courageous for
6. to be in constant readiness for one, wait on constantly

It has a rich meaning, all which point to a constant focus and activity. Elsewhere Paul encourages us to pray constantly (1 These 5:17). I think this is one of the great struggles we have in America - praying. I was raised Catholic, which was a great blessing, and one of the things I was taught was to pray. However, most of our prayers were pre-contructed prayers. I don't think that is what Paul is calling people to do here, reciting prayers all day long. Paul is addressing a group of Christians, who were citizens of the city of Colossae, not fellow priests or ministers, or monks or nuns, just normal citizens. So the question is how we can devote ourselves to prayer? Or maybe more realistically, how do we even start working prayer into our busy lives.

First we need to understand that prayer is important, that prayer is beneficial, and that prayer is something we are all called to do, regardless of our occupation, age or status. Paul put no qualifiers on this statement, so he was addressing everyone in the church. Second, prayer is conversation with God, not just saying words to God, but actual conversation. Jesus said He only did what He saw the Father do, and only said what the Father wanted Him to say. To have this level of intimacy with the Father required constant communication. Jesus was demonstrating to us the life had relationship we are all called to have. I like to say that if Jesus did it, we are called to do that too. In fact Jesus said we are called to do even greater things. (John 14:12). So if Jesus prayed constantly, had a constant conversation with the Father, then we should too.

So, how do we start, or get better at prayer. I think the next two things Paul says here can help us - be watchful and thankful. All around us are people in need, and its a simple thing to ask the Lord to bless those we see in need. Next we can bring the person in need to mind and ask God how we should pray for them. This starts the conversation with Him. Like all conversations, its not one, if they other person never speaks, so expect the Lord to speak to you through ideas and thoughts that pop into you mind.

Next, by being thankful, we can also engage in a sort of running conversation with the Lord. Everything we see that is good in our life, just say Thank You to the Lord. For example, I thank the Lord pretty much every time I get in my car and it starts and works like it should. Prayer doesn't need to be a long drawn out dissertation. Simple thoughts, quick impressions, quick words work just fine. Often times when I am with my wife, I can just call her name and with a nod of my head in a certain direction, draw her into what I am seeing, and thinking, for we know each other so well. It can be like this with the Lord, just call His name when you see something awesome. Look around and see all the beautiful and awesome things we are surrounded by and start saying thank You. I am amazed how quickly my heart's affections are turned towards the Lord when I am thankful.

Finally prayer just takes practice, and constancy. It shouldn't be reserved for Sunday or meal times, but should be something that flows freely all day long, every day, as we are watchful and thankful. Let us be a people that pray. As we grow in prayer, we begin to learn what the Lord thinks about, how He speaks, and what He wants to do, the very things that Jesus showed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment