Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Humility in Ministry

I am reading from 2 Corinthians 12:6-7 NIV
[6] "Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say, [7] or because of these surpassingly great revelations. Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me."

As I was reading these verses, I was reminded of why its so important to minimize the preaching of glorious experiences, especially spiritual ones. The danger, which Paul identifies, is that people begin to think more of someone than is warranted by what they do or say. I think this is so important for us to understand, that when someone is always talking about their spiritual experiences, there may be an effort on their part to puff up their image in our minds.

I find it interesting that Paul, although discussing the miracles and signs and wonders that he worked, never lists them or goes into detail. He simply says - "I persevered in demonstrating among you the marks of a true apostle, including signs, wonders and miracles." 2 Corinthians 12:12

I am certainly not against the recounting of healings and miracles, to build up our faith, and help us to recognize that God is active and present today. I think the true test of a ministry is the willingness to impart and share and give away that which they walk in. I think a ministry that is about the building up of the Body of Christ, wants nothing more than to see all those they come into contact with raised up and equipped to do the very same things. The question is whether the ministry or minister is trying to raise the water level of the church, or trying to demonstrate the fact that they are above the water level, and thus superior in some way.

Let us pray for humility and transparency in the church. Let us pray that the furthering of the Body of Christ would be the first and foremost goal for every minister and ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment