Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, June 17, 2013

Of Fathers...

This morning I am reading from 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 NIV:
[11] "For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, [12] encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory."

I like these verses, especially in light of the celebration of Father's day yesterday. Although Paul is writing to the church, his points about how a father should care for his children is valid. As fathers, we should be encouraging our children, building them up in their gifts and abilities. We should be comforting them when they experience difficulty or struggle or anxiousness. Finally, we should be urging them on in the Lord. We should be speaking into their lives, calling them forward into the purposes of God, calling them forward to live their lives in a manner worthy of God, by helping them set priorities, and make decisions to pursue relationship with the Lord. Let us lead by example in all these ways.

Additionally, for those entrusted with pastoral responsibilities, let us pursue the same heart towards those in our care as we are encouraged by Paul. Let our words be encouraging, comforting, and strengthening. Let us lead by example, and urge one another forward in our calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment