Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Thieves & Brawlers In The Church


This morning I was reading in Paul's letter to the Church in Ephesus, and I had an interesting insight. Here are the verses:

Ephesians 4:28-32 NIV
[28] "Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need."

[29] "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. [30] And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. [31] Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. [32] Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."

Ephesians 5:1-2 NIV
[1] "Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children [2] and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God."

As I was reading theses verses, especially 4:28, I realized that the reason Paul was writing this was because there were actually thieves who had become part of the church. There were people given to brawling, rage and anger too. This doesn't sound like the membership of most of our churches today, and I would dare say that if we knew that someone in our church was conducting themselves this way, we might be tempted to ask them to go someplace else.

Clearly, Paul is giving encouragement and direction to change and encouraging them to love each other, forgive each other, and grow together as the Body of Christ. But what I find interesting is the seeming lack of outrage and judgement towards these people. I believe that Paul had a healthy understanding of how to grow the church, and that was to invite the unchurched, unredeemed, and unholy to meet Jesus. He recognized that they would bring some of their previous lifestyles with them, and while encouraging them to lay that aside (Eph 4:22) and put on their new self, he knew that there would be issues to deal with, and he was fine with that.

I pray that we learn how to reach beyond the walls of our churches to the very people that Jesus died to save, the sinners, and invite them to meet their Savior. I pray that we get past our revulsion to our former ways of life, for we were all sinners too, and we welcome other sinners with open arms. I pray that churches all over would start to grow, not through the shifting of congregations, but through the lost becoming found, the sinners experiencing forgiveness, the sick becoming well, the hopeless being filled with hope, and the sorrowful being filled with joy. Amen Lord, grow Your Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment