Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, June 21, 2013

Paul's Preaching of the Gospel

This morning I have been reading from several sections of the Bible, Ezekiel, Acts, etc. I was interested in the primacy of Jesus in Paul's teaching - seen a bit in Acts 17.

Acts 17:1-4, 11-12 NIV
[1] "When Paul and his companions had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where there was a Jewish synagogue. [2] As was his custom, Paul went into the synagogue, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, [3] explaining and proving that the Messiah had to suffer and rise from the dead. “This Jesus I am proclaiming to you is the Messiah,” he said. [4] Some of the Jews were persuaded and joined Paul and Silas, as did a large number of God-fearing Greeks and quite a few prominent women."

[11] "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true. [12] As a result, many of them believed, as did also a number of prominent Greek women and many Greek men."

What Paul preached was Jesus, the Messiah, who rose from the dead. This was his key message, wherever he went. In his early ministry he was primarily speaking to the Jews, and reasoning from the scriptures, they knew. But later in Athens, Paul had to change his message so that people unfamiliar with scripture could understand the good news as well. He still preached about Jesus, but had to build a foundation of understanding common to all.

In all locations, one of the things that Paul understood was that words were necessary to form the foundation of understanding, but the power of the Holy Spirit confirmed his words to the people. He writes of his short visit to Thessalonica in his letter to them:

1 Thessalonians 1:4-5 NIV
[4] "For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, [5] because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake."

He also wrote of a similar perspective in his letter to the Corinthians:
1 Corinthians 2:4 NIV
[4] "My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power,..."

I guess this morning I am reminded of the simplicity of the Gospel message, and the delivery system God planned. Preach about Jesus, as our savior and demonstrate this reality through words and power. Lord, I pray that you would refresh Your gospel in our lives and help us to walk in Your power, to prove the validity of the Your Good News. You are our savior, and You can and will demonstrate this through Your power.

No comments:

Post a Comment