Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Confirming The Gospel

This morning I am reading from the beginning of Paul's letter to the church in Philippi.

Philippians 1:3-11 NIV:
[3] "I thank my God every time I remember you. [4] In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy [5] because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, [6] being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

[7] It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart and, whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. [8] God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

[9] And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, [10] so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, [11] filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ---to the glory and praise of God."

There are a few things that stand out as I read these verses, besides Paul's love and affection for the church.

First, in verse 5, he talks about their partnership in the Gospel. The Greek word, here translated partnership is the word Koinonia. Its definition follows:
1. fellowship, association, community, communion, joint participation, intercourse
a. the share which one has in anything, participation
b. intercourse, fellowship, intimacy 1. the right hand as a sign and pledge of fellowship (in fulfilling the apostolic office)
c. a gift jointly contributed, a collection, a contribution, as exhibiting an embodiment and proof of fellowship

What Paul is describing is a common effort joined by all the members of the church, the spreading of the good news. The general feel here is not one of rallying behind a leader/pastor, but an active participation of all members. They are the "good work" and they are participating in the "good work". When I read verses like this I reminded of churches that seem alive at all levels, where the whole church is involved and active and where its not a sit back and teach me kind of congregation. I believe this is exactly the kind of church the Lord wants to see in our day, one where everyone is sharing in the life and the effort of representing the Kingdom.

Second, in verse 7 Paul writes of defending and confirming the Gospel. It is the word confirming that caught my eye as I read over these verses, for that is not a usual description of the work of spreading the Gospel. Other translations use the word, confirmation and that is the exact translation of the original Greek. Confirmation in the Websters dictionary means: "proof which shows that something is true or correct." I believe that is exactly what Paul was saying here, that he was at working defending the Gospel and proving that what He said was true, by visible proofs, not just in words, but in deeds.

When I read this I am reminded of Peter and John's interaction with the lame man outside the temple - Acts 3:6 NIV "Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk.” Peter went on, in the reminder of that chapter, to describe this healing as proof that Jesus was the Messiah, and had been raised from the dead (the core of the Gospel). Paul described his ministry as being not in word only but with power and the Holy Spirit (1 Thesis 1:5). I believe this is what Paul meant when he said he was at work confirming the Gospel, that he was busy allowing the Lord to work through him to bring about healings, miracles and other signs. He knew that the effective proclamation of the Gospel was coupled with demonstration, or proof that what he was saying was indeed true.

Every time I read something like this, my heart and spirit are stirred to see this in the church today, more than we are presently seeing. The same thing is true today, words alone are only so effective, especially when we consider the many ideas that are bombarding everyone these days. The best way to grab someone's attention and prove to them that what you are saying is true, is to demonstrate something that is only possible if what you saying IS true. That is what I am after, visible, defendable, obvious proofs that the Kingdom of God is indeed present and in operation. Lord help us to see this happen in our midst!

No comments:

Post a Comment