Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, August 18, 2014

More On Our Inheritance

Yesterday, the theme of my meditation was inheritance, and again today I am stirred in that direction. The whole idea of us having an inheritance from Jesus is firmly established in the New Testament, as evidenced by the multitude of verses speaking of it (35). Many of these verses speak of us inheriting Eternal Life. What I find interesting is that although I always read them as having to do with our life after death, I don't think that is entirely accurate. Clearly in many instances that is the meaning, but the one thing that has caused me to stop and think is that traditionally an inheritance is really only for the living to enjoy, something that is passed to us, the living, upon a loved one's passing to the next life. So there must be some component of our inheritance that we enjoy now, in this life.

In several scriptures, eternal life is equated with knowing the Lord (John 17:3; 1 John 5:11-12). I have always understood it to speak of a quality of life, in addition to meaning living forever. In Paul's first letter to Timothy, he tells Timothy to take hold of the eternal life (1 Tim 6:12), and clearly is talking about his life here on earth, not after he has passed into the life after death. It would be a completely nonsensical statement to tell a living person to take hold of something that can only be grasped after dying. Jesus speaks of creating in us a fountain that wells up to eternal life (John 4:14). Jesus also makes a very clear statement that whoever shares in His body and blood will have eternal life (John 6:54), and He will raise them up on the last day.

I truly believe that we are meant to experience our inheritance in this present life, and in the life to come. Paul in his letters to the Corinthians, Ephesians and Galatians talks about inheriting the Kingdom of God (1 Cor 6:9-10; Eph 5:5; Gal 5:21). Jesus told us to pray for His Kingdom to come on earth, as it is in Heaven (Matt 6:10) and this would make no sense if His Kingdom, His rule and reign, was only meant to be experienced once we pass on to the next life.

Lord, I pray that You will open my eyes and my heart to that which You have for us here and now. Lord, I don't want to miss anything in this present life, that You want me to walk in and experience. I want to embrace the inheritance You have left us, Your Kingdom, and Eternal Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment