Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, August 15, 2014

Seeds of Change

This morning I was reading a bit through Proverbs. Such good stuff, every two lines you could stop and think for quite a while. Here are some excerpts: Proverbs 12:1, 14, 18, 22, 28 NIV:

[1] "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but whoever hates correction is stupid.

[14] From the fruit of their lips people are filled with good things,
and the work of their hands brings them reward.

[18] The words of the reckless pierce like swords,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

[22] The Lord detests lying lips,
but he delights in people who are trustworthy.

[28] In the way of righteousness there is life;
along that path is immortality."

So much of this chapter has to do with our words, our choices, and actions. Good things to think about for us all.

What I say affects my life, and the lives of the people around me. My words can bring life and healing, or they can tear down and bring destruction. You can tell much about a person by listening to their words, listening to how they talk about others.

What I choose to think on, and how I interpret things around me also greatly affect my life. I can choose to recognize that my life has purpose and pursue the one who knows what that purpose is (God), or just go with the flow, never thinking or pondering the deeper things of life. I can recognize that my thoughts and attitudes affect how I view life and others. I can choose to be grateful or not, I can choose to be kind or not, I can choose to look at the positive opportunities or the get stuck in my past hurts or woundedness. So much of our life experience is the fruit of our thinking and our choices. One of my favorite authors, Graham Cooke says, "if you don't like where your thinking has led you in your life, then have another thought, or think again", but this time change the way you think.

Finally, how we choose to act greatly affects our life. We can think grand thoughts but never act on them. I think the famous saying says 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'. In other words, people's thoughts didn't line-up with their actions. For example, in my mind I am always thinking about the need to eat better and exercise more, yet rarely do I act on those thoughts. My intentions won't make me healthier, it requires my actions. I might speak wonderfully, but it is the work of my hands that brings me rewards.

I guess I could meditate on these few verses for hours, but at the end of it all I need to apply these verses to my life and act differently. Lord, help me to sow the seeds of change, and begin to act differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment