Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Doing The Stuff, Our Inheritance

This morning I felt like I should read from Isaiah 61, which is a section of scripture that I love. The specific verses that I was directed to are the following:

Isaiah 61:7 NIV: "Instead of your shame you will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace you will rejoice in your inheritance. And so you will inherit a double portion in your land, and everlasting joy will be yours."

When I read this, I felt that it was related tot the topic I was thinking about yesterday morning, that of power and authority in the Kingdom. We often don't think about the fact that our inheritance in the Body of Christ, is exactly what Jesus demonstrated during His ministry. Before Jesus died, he was talking to the disciples and basically telling them what He was leaving as an inheritance. Here are a few verses from John:

John 14:18-21, 26-27 NIV "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. [19] Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. [20] On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. [21] Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

[26] But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. [27] Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

Those verses were prefaced with these: John 14:12-14 NIV: "Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. [13] And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

The Lord through Isaiah is speaking of inheriting a double portion, a rejoicing in our inheritance, and then in John, He describes some of what that inheritance looks like. He says will will inherit peace, identity, love, The Holy Spirit, authority in His Name. In John 14:14 Jesus says that anything we ask in His Name, He will do. This isn't some sort of code word, but rather a description of relational authority. We are able to do these things because we represent Him, and are exercising our inheritance.

Finally, I was reminded of part of sermon I heard many years ago, by John Wimber, where he talks about doing the stuff. The link to the video is here, hopefully it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTep5jzjhu8&feature=youtube_gdata_player


So, let us step into our inheritance, and start believing that this what we are called to do, namely the very same stuff that Jesus did.

No comments:

Post a Comment