Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Kingdom and Power

This morning I am reading from Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth. Apparently they were getting into some areas of pride. Paul is reminding them that he is an Apostle and that he had taught them differently. The following couple of verse caught my attention.

1 Corinthians 4:18-20 NIV:

[18] "Some of you have become arrogant, as if I were not coming to you. [19] But I will come to you very soon, if the Lord is willing, and then I will find out not only how these arrogant people are talking, but what power they have. [20] For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power."

As I read this, my thought was upon the church, and how if we used this measure to judge a church, the measure of what power they had, it would potentially be a very sad situation, for many churches have lost their sense of what the Kingdom is all about, and how it is demonstrated. While well run programs are good, good teaching and sermons are very helpful, the Kingdom of God is supposed to be demonstrated by power. Jesus called the disciples together, sent them out to proclaim the Kingdom and then demonstrate the reality of the Kingdom with power (Matt 10:7-8). The power to heal, cleanse, cast out demons, and work miracles is the demonstration of the Kingdom.

Ultimately I believe that power and authority comes thorough relationship. The disciples that Jesus sent out walked n the authority and power because of their relationship with Jesus. Jesus ministered in power and authority because of His relationship with the Father. Simply put when we know someone deeply, we can represent them correctly. I have a good friend who says that he wants me to preach at his funeral because his pastor doesn't really know him, certainly not the way that I know him. He wants someone to faithfully represent him.

The Lord is much the same, He is looking for those who can really represent Him effectively. God is full of power, love, compassion, mercy and many more characteristics. He wants us to represent who He is to the world around us, for the Kingdom flows out of who He is. If we are preaching a God of power, but unable to demonstrate that to the world, then why should they believe us? The same is true for love, mercy, compassion, faithfulness, etc. The church must demonstrate these characteristics faithfully or the world will not believe us that God is like that.

Right now the common characterization of Christians in the media is one of judgmental, angry, compassionless people. Part of this is based on the liberal agenda of the media, but part of it is drawn from the actions of Christians. The church must rise up and restore the image of the Lord. We are His representatives, and our actions are associated with His character. So let us throw off arrogance, judgmentalism, angry speech and instead demonstrate to the world the true character of God, as demonstrated by Jesus. Let us restore to the church relationship with Jesus and the demonstration of His power and authority. Let such learn to desire mercy, not sacrifice (Matt 9:13). Let us demonstrate that mercy triumphs over judgement (James 2:13). Let us demonstrate the true power of Love, the power of the Kingdom of God, present in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment