Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, July 24, 2015

Prayer, Perseverance and Faith

This morning I opened my Bible and started reading where I left off yesterday, in Luke 18.  Jesus starts this chapter with an interesting parable - Luke 18:1-8 NIV:

[1] "Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. [2] He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. [3] And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

[4] “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care what people think, [5] yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually come and attack me!' ”

[6] And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. [7] And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? [8] I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

I like the fact that Luke added the narrative to start the story, for one could wonder about the overall meaning without those comments.  Jesus sometimes used comparisons to describe His Father, and this is one of those times.  He was not saying the Father was like the judge, rather just the opposite.  He was saying that if even a bad judge would issue the right decision if pressured enough, than how much more so will our Father in heaven, who is the very definition of good, and who needs no pressure, nor reminding.

It is interesting to compare this story to some of the other stories and discussion Jesus had about prayer, and the Father's heart.  I am reminded of two specific sections:

Matthew 6:7-15 NIV:
[7] "And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. [8] Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

[9] “This, then, is how you should pray: “ 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, [10] your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. [11] Give us today our daily bread. [12] And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. [13] And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. ' [14] For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. [15] But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins."

-and -

Matthew 7:7-11 NIV:
[7] “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. [8] For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

[9] “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? [10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? [11] If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"

When one reads these two sections, a different perspective on prayer and the Father's heart is communicated, than if one were to only read the passages from Luke.  This is a great example of why we can't just extract one set of verses and create theological understanding or principles from that one section.  We must read and understand the whole of the Bible, to rightly understand sections that might be questionable.

In a quick reading of Luke 18, in absence of the other sections from Matthew, one could think that Jesus was saying we must keep praying until we get our prayers met, as if God was like the bad judge and needed our prayers to move on our behalf.  Yet we find Jesus giving the exact opposite direction in Matt 6 - don't be like the pagans who babble on with many words.  He says the Father knows what we need before we ask Him.  So what would be the point of the story from Luke?  Luke was recounting the story which had been conveyed to him by someone who remembered the story and was giving their interpretation of its meaning.  I am not saying He wasn't guided by the Holy Spirit in his writing of the Gospels, but is it possible that some of the meaning was left out of the beginning narrative?

In understanding Jesus' comments we need to go back to some foundational truths.  First, He is speaking about those in relationship with the Father (His chosen ones).  The Father IS good, is loving, is faithful, is just, is our provider, is our healer, is all knowing, and is all powerful.  The Father does not need to be reminded of our need, or our situation, so what is the point of crying out night and day?  I believe the issue Jesus is trying to address is our faith in Him, which is the last statement He makes (Luke 18:8).

I believe the purpose behind encouraging the disciples to pray and not give up was that they might be reminded of the Father's character and promises.  I know when I am feeling pressured or in difficult circumstances, what I need is to take my eyes off myself, and focus on the Lord.  I need to gain His perspective, and when I do I am comforted and at peace.  I need to be reminded of who He is, and what He is capable of doing on my behalf.  I need to be reminded of His complete and right perspective, compared to my very limited and selfish perspective.  When I am in prayer or communication with the Lord, He reminds me of these things, and I am comforted.  My faith in Him is my anchor of peace.  When things get really hairy, I find myself needing to be in constant remembering mode, otherwise I lose perspective.

So, in looking at the beginning narrative, I think I would add a bit about faith, for that seems to be what Jesus is actually discussing, and is actually what He closes the story with, a statement about faith.  I would add something like the following - "... to show them that they should always pray and not give up, and remind themselves of God's faithfulness and love, stirring up their faith in Him."

God is good, is in control, and is not surprised or worried about our situation.  He has a plan and it is good!

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment