Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, July 20, 2015

The Unrelenting Love of God!

This morning I read through the whole book of Hosea.  This is such an interesting book, for it describes the unrelenting love of the Father, in spite of the unfaithfulness of His people.  There is a constant desire from God, for the people to turn back to Him, to refrain from their evil and rebellious ways and return to the Lord.  Some might read this book and conclude that God is angry and judgmental, based on the language of the sections where the Lord is speaking of their sin, rebellion and waywardness.  However, if you read the beginning and the end, you see that the Father's heart has never changed towards His people.  Here is how the book opens - Hosea 1:2, 10-11 NIV:

[2] "When the Lord began to speak through Hosea, the Lord said to him, “Go, marry a promiscuous woman and have children with her, for like an adulterous wife this land is guilty of unfaithfulness to the Lord.”

[10] “Yet the Israelites will be like the sand on the seashore, which cannot be measured or counted. In the place where it was said to them, 'You are not my people,' they will be called 'children of the living God.' [11] The people of Judah and the people of Israel will come together; they will appoint one leader and will come up out of the land, for great will be the day of Jezreel."

There is a sense that God, despite His sadness and frustration over the people's constant pursuit of other gods, never stops loving them.  He always longs for their return, longs to lavish them with His love.  Despite His strong language and warnings, God's heart is always for them.  Here is a set of verses that describe His heart very well - Hosea 11:8-11 NIV:

[8] “How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I treat you like Admah? How can I make you like Zeboyim? My heart is changed within me; all my compassion is aroused. [9] I will not carry out my fierce anger, nor will I devastate Ephraim again. For I am God, and not a man---the Holy One among you. I will not come against their cities. [10] They will follow the Lord; he will roar like a lion. When he roars, his children will come trembling from the west. [11] They will come from Egypt, trembling like sparrows, from Assyria, fluttering like doves. I will settle them in their homes,” declares the Lord."

In verse 8 the word here translated changed, actually means to be turned over or flipped over.  I was thinking about this and I think it perfectly describes the heart of someone who is jealous for another's love.  They are angry that they are not the object of the other's affection, but that anger is immediately replaced with an awareness of the incredible love they have for the other.  It would almost seem like the heart is flipping back and forth, but the same emotion drives it - incredible love.

The last section of this book is a continued reflection of God's love for His people - Hosea 14:1-9 NIV

[1] "Return, Israel, to the Lord your God. Your sins have been your downfall!"

[2] "Take words with you and return to the Lord. Say to him: “Forgive all our sins and receive us graciously, that we may offer the fruit of our lips. [3] Assyria cannot save us; we will not mount warhorses. We will never again say 'Our gods' to what our own hands have made, for in you the fatherless find compassion.”

[4] “I will heal their waywardness and love them freely, for my anger has turned away from them. [5] I will be like the dew to Israel; he will blossom like a lily. Like a cedar of Lebanon he will send down his roots; [6] his young shoots will grow. His splendor will be like an olive tree, his fragrance like a cedar of Lebanon. [7] People will dwell again in his shade; they will flourish like the grain, they will blossom like the vine---Israel's fame will be like the wine of Lebanon. [8] Ephraim, what more have I to do with idols? I will answer him and care for him. I am like a flourishing juniper; your fruitfulness comes from me.”

[9] "Who is wise? Let them realize these things. Who is discerning? Let them understand. The ways of the Lord are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them."

The Lord desires nothing more than to love them freely. He desires to bless them and heal them, to prosper them and increase them.  His desire is to overlook all their sin, rebellion and waywardness and show them His incredible love.

Our God is truly amazing in His capacity to love and forgive.  As He said in chapter 11, verse 9, He is God, not a man.   He will not respond like a man would, but will rather respond like only God could, with Love and mercy.

Thank You Lord for Your amazing love.

As I was thinking more about these verses and the whole context of the revelation of the Father through Jesus' life, I realized why it was so important to get this perspective, that seeing Jesus, we see the Father.  Throughout the Old Testament the Father is described in terms that we never see Jesus embody.  We don't see Him releasing judgment and destruction, we don't see Him expressing anger at the sinners.  He does not treat us as our sins would require, and instead saves sinners, heals their diseases.  He does not cause disease, He heals disease.  He does not harden hearts, He softens hearts with Love and kindness.  He does not express His anger, accept at those who color the Father wrongly and make people think God is all judgmental.  He expresses the passion of the Father for His people!  He celebrates the significance of each of the people He meets.  He loves all, regardless of their sin, rebellion and waywardness.  The Father is really just like Jesus showed us, and anything else that we hear is untrue.

Lord, please open our eyes, our ears and our hearts and minds to these truths.  You really do Love us!

No comments:

Post a Comment