Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 23, 2015

The Kingdom Within

This morning I was reading from Luke 17:20-21 NIV:

[20] "Once, on being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, Jesus replied, “The coming of the kingdom of God is not something that can be observed, [21] nor will people say, 'Here it is,' or 'There it is,' because the kingdom of God is in your midst.”

The Greek word that has bee translated 'midst' is Entos, and it literally means inside or within you.  Another way to translate the last sentence would be, "The Kingdom of God (His authority and rule) is inside of your being (within you)."  It is interesting that Jesus answered this question this way, for they were clearly thinking of the literal Kingdom of God being established over Israel, kicking out the Roman's and establishing themselves as a sovereign nation once again, under the Kingship of the Messiah.  Jesus' answer must have been completely confusing to them, for their paradigm of God's Kingdom was completely different.

In some ways, I think our perspective is somewhat similar, in that we expect the Kingdom of God, as demonstrated by the Church, to have earthly influence.  This is not a wrong expectation, for one would hope that Godly and faithful people would influence and be a part of the governments of the world, bringing influence and Godly perspective.  It is possible for a nation to be dedicated to God, as our nation was at its inception.  However, this is not a requirement for the Kingdom of God to prosper and increase.  The Kingdom of God exists on a personal level, that is both below the boundary lines of politics, regions, and nations and yet transcendent over all.

What this means personally is that God desires to rule and reign in our lives, if that is where His authority and rule exists.  This should have significant impact in our lives and the way we live.  The Kingdom of God is not just to bring salvation to people, but to establish the rule and reign and authority of God in their life as well.  For example, owning and wearing a T-Shirt with the name and official seal of another county does not make one a citizen.  In the US, we require education on the rules and structure of the government, a pledge to follow those rules and laws, and a commitment to abide under and by the authority of the government.

I believe God's expectations are no less, for we are called to live our lives in relationship, unity and obedience to the will of the Father.  Being a member of the Kingdom of God, is more than just calling ourselves Christians and being nice.  The are millions if not billions of nice people belonging to every Nation in the world, and probably every faith. No, being a member of the Kingdom of God active and volitional and related to His rule and reign.  Since the Kingdom of God advances on the personal level, we have responsibility to live our lives as members of the Kingdom.

We are not some people whose national citizenship is decided for us, as would be the case in where one government decided to surrender to another, and as happened to the citizens of many nations due to war.  No, our citizenship in the Kingdom of God is decided by us, and is a personal decision.  Our living under the rule and authority of God is also a personal decision.

So this morning, I am encouraged to look at my life, to consider whether the rule and reign of God is evident in my life?  Have I embraced His authority and reign?  Do I align myself under His rule, and do I obey His directives?  Lord, my desire is to experience the fullness of Your Kingdom, so please help me to grow in my understanding and my ability to follow Your Kingship.

No comments:

Post a Comment