Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Barren Fig Tree

This morning I was reading through Luke's Gospel and was pondering the parable of the fig-tree that gave no fruit.  It is one of those parables that is not immediately understandable, at least to me.  Here are the verses - Luke 13:6-9 NIV:

[6] "Then he told this parable: “A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he went to look for fruit on it but did not find any. [7] So he said to the man who took care of the vineyard, 'For three years now I've been coming to look for fruit on this fig tree and haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?'

[8] “ 'Sir,' the man replied, 'leave it alone for one more year, and I'll dig around it and fertilize it. [9] If it bears fruit next year, fine! If not, then cut it down.' ”

I spent some time reading a few commentaries and I think Matthew Henry's comments make the most sense.  For a complete reading follow this link: http://classic.studylight.org/com/mhc-com/view.cgi?book=lu&chapter=13&verse=6#Lu13_6

His perspective is that Jesus is talking about the Israel (God's People) and this analogy is a very short synopsis of God's history with them.  He had planted them in the promised land, had given them blessing after blessing, caring for them throughout the centuries and they were not bearing the fruit He expected. The extra year that is requested is indicative of Jesus' ministry and demonstration of the love of the Father, and intercession on their behalf.

The chapter ends with Jesus' famous prophetic statement about Jerusalem, and also His statement about the coming judgment (see Luke 13:34-35). This judgment was seen in the years following, with the destruction of Jerusalem in 70AD.

The good news about the application of this parable is that there was fruit that was found and that would be the Church.  It was not much fruit initially, 120 were found in the upper room after Jesus death and Ascension (Acts 1:15), but that quickly changed after Pentecost, when 3000 joined in a single day.

As I read think about all this a few things come to mind, and are encouraging if I were to apply this parable to my life.  First, God's plans will come to fruition (bear fruit) whether they seem possible or not.  He is the Lord of all things and if He purposed something it will occur.  Second, Jesus has patience and a personal investment in our lives, and He will care for us and help us. He will remove those things that hinder our growth and fruitfulness and nourish us so that we will be able to bear fruit.

As I read this I am also encouraged that the Lord expects fruit.  He looks for fruit in our lives, and expects that we would bear fruit.  It is not enough to just exist in relationship with Him, but my life should bear witness (fruit) to my relationship with Him.  This is something I have thought about regularly, am I bearing fruit in my life that is good and line with His purpose for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment