Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Reflecting on God's Love and Faithfulness

This morning I opened up to the Psalms, which I haven't done in quite a while.  I used to always start with part of a Psalm, as I spent time in prayer, as so often my heart resonates with what the psalmist is expressing.  This morning I am reflecting on Psalm 108:1-5 NIV:

[1] "My heart, O God, is steadfast; I will sing and make music with all my soul.
[2] Awake, harp and lyre! I will awaken the dawn.
[3] I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing of you among the peoples.
[4] For great is your love, higher than the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
[5] Be exalted, O God, above the heavens; let your glory be over all the earth."

As soon as I read these verses, I was reminded of an old worship song based on this Psalm.  It is interesting that for me the best way to learn or memorize scripture is through song lyrics.  This particular song is from 30+ years ago, and I still remember the words and melody.  I have tried many times to memorize scripture, but it just doesn't seem to stay with me the way songs do.  I guess that is part of the whole purpose of the Psalms, for they are actually songs that were written and sung, and passed down.  They were reflections of the psalmist's interactions with the Lord.

A few things strike me this morning as I reflect on these verses.  First, David is moved to song by his reflections on the Lord. He spends time in the morning, singing and stirring his heart.  What a great practice to have in one's life, to begin the day reflecting on the Lord.  I am always blessed during my (mostly) daily ritual of waking to a time of prayer with the Lord.  It does take time and discipline to continue to do this almost every day, but my relationship with the Lord is my greatest treasure.

Secondly, David is reflecting on the Lord's love and faithfulness. A love higher than the heavens is pretty large, in fact it would be infinite.  My honey and I like to compare our love for each other to things in this world.  She will say things like "I love you more than chocolate, or more than the ocean."  I will replay that I love her more, most, and even mostest.  This is the language of love, and here David is prophetically speaking about God and saying God's love for us is greater than the heavens.  God uses the same kind of comparative language when speaking to us about His love for us.  That is awesome!

Third, the topic of faithfulness comes up when David is reflecting on God's love.  It appears that the two characteristics of God, His Love and Faithfulness are closely linked.  It is impossible for God to love us, higher than the heavens, and not be faithful to us.  I believe the imagery of faithfulness that reaches to the skies is related to the consistent appearance of the sun, moon and stars.  We have learned that they and our path around and through them are mathematically predictable. I think David is describing a faithfulness that is consistent, never changing, always dependable.  Webster's Dictionary defines faithfulness as follows:

1 obsolete  : full of faith
2 : steadfast in affection or allegiance : loyal
3 : firm in adherence to promises or in observance of duty : conscientious
4 : given with strong assurance : binding

I like that definition, and find it particularly helpful in thinking of God that way, in His affections for me.  He is steadfast in His affections.  In other words he won't change His mind about loving me.  He is firm in His adherence to His promises to me.  He won't ever forget His promises nor will He forget about me.  He gives us those promises with strong assurance.  His promise to love us and be faithful to us is something He proved by sending us Jesus to save us all.  He sent that which was most precious to Him, as a sign of His love and faithfulness.

Throughout history there are tales of epic love and faithfulness between men and women, husbands and wives.  This story of God's love and faithfulness to us is really astounding!  He has poured forth the greatest love in history, and lavished it on us!

Lord, I am so grateful for Your love and faithfulness!  I look forward to the day that I will join the heavenly chorus proclaiming the glory of Your love and faithfulness!  Your love is amazing!  You truly love me the mostest! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment