Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, July 27, 2015

Working Out Our Salvation? (Phil. 2:12)

This morning I am reading from Paul's letter to the Philippians 2:1-13, as a result of my good friend Mason asking a question concerning verse twelve. I love this chapter for there is so much covered by Paul, especially in these thirteen verses.  I am going to focus on the last two verses, but the previous verses, all set the stage for those two verses, so I have included them.  As my friend and former pastor John Brown says, "When you see 'therefore' in scripture, you should ask yourself what is it there for?"  In every case, the following sections have established a foundation that is being built upon by that which follows the 'therefore'.  So here are the verses - Philippians 2:1-13 NIV:

[1] Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, [2] then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. [3] Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. [5] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

[6] Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
[7] rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
[8] And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death---even death on a cross!

[9] Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name,
[10] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
[11] and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

[12] Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed---not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence---continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, [13] for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

The quick summary is as follows, drawing the basic theme from each paragraph:

1) Because of our relationship with Jesus, pursue oneness with your brothers and sisters in Christ, through humility.
2) This humility was demonstrated to us by Jesus, who as God, humbled Himself and became just like us.
3) Jesus, because of His sacrifice for our sin, was glorified by the Father.
4) We should pursue this same humility and oneness, being like Jesus, and it will take work on our part, but God will help us.

If we were to read verse twelve on its own, it could confuse us regarding the Gospel of salvation through faith.  Paul writes very clearly that works (following the law) could not lead us to righteousness in his letter to the Galatians (Gal 2:19-21) and other places as well (Rom 4 & 5), so what does he mean in verses 12 & 13 when he says "work out your salvation"?

I believe that Paul is addressing our efforts to be like Christ.  The Greek word that is translated 'salvation' here is speaking about one's present possession, not something yet to be acquired.  In other words, Paul is not addressing our actual salvation, but the living in the place of being saved and following Christ.  Humility and dying to one's self, putting other's interests before our own, being obedient to Christ are all things that require effort on our part.  None of these is easy to do.  We are being encouraged to die to ourselves. Jesus called it denying oneself and taking up one's cross daily (Matt 16:24) and that sounds like work to me.

We are encouraged to this way of life because Jesus called us to it.  We are encouraged to this walk because the Father clearly favors it.  We are capable of doing this, of embracing this lifestyle, because God will help us!  It is Him, through the power of the Holy Spirit, helping us to will and act.  It is our effort, but His impetus!

I have always been interested in Paul's statement 'with fear and trembling' as that does not seem particularly helpful.  Why should I fear becoming like the one who loves me and has died for me?  Here is a statement from Strong's Exhaustive concordance concerning the original Greek, that is translated 'fear and trembling':  "[the phrase] with fear and trembling, [is] used to describe the anxiety of one who distrusts his ability completely to meet all requirements, but religiously does his utmost to fulfil his duty." That definition was very helpful in understanding this phrase, and Paul's use of it here in these verses.  If I know anything, I know that I will not succeed well in denying myself and taking up my cross with just my own effort.  Without the Lord's help, through relationship and encouragement, I have no chance of successfully walking this out.

Finally, the whole section follows Paul's description of his persecution and imprisonment due to his ministry.  He says that the Philippians are experiencing the same, and are suffering for following Christ Jesus (Phil 1: 12-29).  Paul is encouraging them, therefore, to press into each other, to pursue humility and oneness, to become like Christ, in the face of this suffering and persecution.  My natural reaction is to pull back and separate myself during times of struggle and suffering and Paul is encouraging them to do the exact opposite.

In my mind, I just saw the image of muskox, which when threatened form a circle with the helpless and young in the middle, and the mature and strong closing ranks with their horns facing outward.  This is what Paul is talking about, versus the opposite reaction that antelope have when threatened, they all run away and the youngest and weakest are at risk and ultimately are the ones that get killed. Paul is encouraging us to press into each other, to protect each other, to carry each other, to serve each other.  None of that is easy, and it requires that we deny ourselves and our proclivity to run and flee when  threatened.

Lord, thank You for this encouragement and enlightenment!  Help me to walk in Your ways, to deny myself and to love and serve others.  Help us as Your church to learn from You and to press into each other, and help each other, especially in times of struggle and difficulty.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment