Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Pressing Forward To Know Jesus

This evening I am continuing my reading from Paul's letter to the Philippians, and have jumped over to the third chapter.  This is one of those really well known sections of scripture.  I want to focus on it as it reflects the Good News, and Paul's understanding of the the value of a life in Christ.  I will share the verses first, then break them down.

Philippians 3:7-14 NIV:

[7] "But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. [8] What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ [9] and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ---the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. [10] I want to know Christ---yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, [11] and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead."

[12] "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. [13] Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, [14] I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

The first thing I notice is that Paul is talking about his relationship with Jesus - the surpassing worth of knowing Him.  His statement is quite simply that knowing Jesus is more valuable and of greater worth than anything else.  In fact in light of relationship with Jesus, all things are as garbage. He has lost all things willingly, laid them down, for they no longer have any real value in light of Christ.  Paul had power, knowledge, was well respected in the community, and was one of the movers and shakers, and he willingly lost all of that, because their value was surpassed in knowing Jesus.

I think this is one of the first things we need to focus on and learn to cultivate in our lives.  For so many of us our faith is very little about relationship with Jesus, and more likely related to participation in a church, relationships with the people there, and participation in the programs and liturgies of that place.  The great treasure is the Lord, not our church body or programs.  If our primary focus lies anywhere other than Jesus, than we are missing the whole point of our Christianity - it is about relationships with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Paul was so focused on the Lord, on becoming like Him, that he was willing to enter into Jesus' life, even sharing in the sufferings.  He embraced Jesus through the glory and persecutions, knowing that in Him, and through knowing Him, the door to His purpose and eternal relationship would be opened.  Paul seems to be taking on the personality and character of Christ, becoming like Him in all things, and that is His goal.

Secondly, Paul is willing to forget everything that is in the past, and willing to start each day with a new drive forward in the Lord.  He was not satisfied with what He had experienced for he knew there was far more to experience and to understand, so He constantly pressed forward. HE was not going to allow himself to be held back by wounds or injuries or even successes from his past.  He knew that the Lord had a purpose in calling him out of his sin and deception and he had not yet seen it in its fullest.  The Lord had a plan for His life that Paul strove forward to grab hold of, never satisfied in what he had attained so far.

Again, one wonders how many people in our churches have this hunger and drive?  In the place of relationship and personal growth, it seems that we have inserted attendance and listening with very little interaction and actual relationship stuff.  We spoon feed most of the people little bits and satisfy their dim hunger for another week and this is all they know. Once in a while we encounter someone truly hungry.  They have this belief that there should be more to this life of faith.  They are driving forward, desiring to be fed, and desirous of real relationship, and in that place they want to understand more about their purpose and God's plan for their lives. This is really the heart of the Good News, that knowing our God is possible, that He has a plan, a good plan for Your life, and it is for the whole of your life, whatever your age.  Yes, His plan is for every day of our life, we are never too young or too old.

So this evening I am encouraged that there is always more in Jesus, through relationship with Him, that I  have yet to encounter.  Lord, my desire is to know You and Your purposes for me.  I want to experience such a relationship with You that it surpasses everything else in worth and value.  Lord I desire some real understanding and experiences that completely break down my paradigms of what I think is possible.

Lord, we look to You, for You have everything we need!  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment