Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Reminded Whose We Are: The Lord's

This morning I am reminded of a youth and high school aged camp we did years ago where the theme was the following set of verses.

Isaiah 44:3-5 NIV:

[3] "For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. [4] They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams. [5] Some will say, 'I belong to the Lord'; others will call themselves by the name of Jacob; still others will write on their hand, 'The Lord's,' and will take the name Israel."

At this camp many of the youth literally wrote "The Lord's" on their hands.  It was a very good season for many of these young people, and one where they felt the closeness of the Lord.  I am not sure how many of them would still want to write that on their hand, and that saddens me. I am reminded of many friends and acquaintances who have had seasons of walking closely with the Lord, and now are struggling to find a place in their lives for Him, and that saddens me.

This is not some judgmental position, but rather a sorrow one would feel over a family member who no longer wants to relate with the rest of the family, whatever the reason.   Our relationship with the Lord is our greatest treasure in our life and many have become convinced through circumstance, disappointment, struggle and hardship that God is no longer relevant, necessary or maybe even interested in their lives.  Nothing could be farther from the truth, for the Lord has never turned His eyes away from us, has never forgotten or forsaken us, and is always waiting for us to turn to Him.  He loves us with a love that is beyond comprehension, and has never changed His mind concerning us.

I am reminded of the Lord's story of the lost son, found in Luke 15, and His description of the Father's response to the son who has turned back towards Him. Luke 15:20-24 NIV:

[20] "So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

[21] “The son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.'

[22] “But the father said to his servants, 'Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. [23] Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let's have a feast and celebrate. [24] For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' So they began to celebrate."

I love this story, for this so truly shows us the Lord's heart toward us.  A few things to note:

1)  The son was still a long ways off when the Father saw him and ran to the son.  The Father must have been looking for the son every day since he left, he never forgot the son, nor stopped looking for the son to return.

2) The son tries to confess his sin and ask for penance, but the Father has no time or concern for that.  He is overjoyed that His son has returned and immediately restores everything to His son, authority, relationship, and provision.  He does not punish His son for his time away or any of his sins, but rather welcomes the son back with open arms and great affection.

The truth is simple and yet profound, God loves us and will always love us!  He considers us His sons and daughters, and would never think of us otherwise, regardless of what we have done or how long we have been away.  He never stops loving us, never stops looking for us, and never forgets us.  While we might wash off of our hands our inscription "The Lord's", He can never wash our names off His hands, for He has engraved (literally carved) our names in His palm (Is 49:16).

So my prayer this morning is for all those I know who have wandered away from relationship with the Lord.  I pray that You would remind them of those times where they walked with You, that You might draw them back to You Lord, and help them to return to Your family and to Your loving embrace!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment