Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, March 16, 2020

A Day for Gratitude!

Today as I sat down to pray, I felt like the theme should be gratitude.

It is so tempting to look at the craziness and hardship that is fast approaching and become all concerned and give into anxiety.  And that is exactly the right word - tempting.  More than anything the enemy of our souls wants us to give into fear, to lose faith in our loving Lord, to become overwhelmed by anxiety!  The enemy wants us divided and self-focused, looking only at our own situation.

To push back against that temptation, I am reminded of a couple of verses from Paul's letter to the Philippians 4:4-8 NIV:

[4] "Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! [5] Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. [6] Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. [7] And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

[8] Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable---if anything is excellent or praiseworthy---think about such things."

- and Philippians 4:11-13 NIV:

[11] "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. [12] I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. [13] I can do all this through him who gives me strength."


So, I am focusing on thankfunesss and gratitude today!  I am going to look at my life, this present situation and choose to be grateful, to be thankful, to enjoy this time!

I am so grateful that we do have the ability to communicate widely, to effectively share life, videos, pictures, texts, and phone calls with pretty much anyone anywhere in the world.

I am grateful that my job has allowed me to work from home for the last 20+ years, when I am not traveling, and because of that, its pretty much normal life for me, in spite of the new social limits.

I am thankful that I live in a small neighborhood where I know all my neighbors and we look out for each other.

I am thankful that I have a warm and dry house, with enough food.

I am grateful that I can focus on things here at home in the evenings, and be productive everyday.

I am thankful that I live where electricity and water are abundantly available!

I am thankful for good friends and my family living close enough that I can visit without needing to travel great distances.

I am thankful for comprehensive news coverage, even when its overblown, as we are able to react early rather than later!  (Read about the 1918 flu if you want to be grateful for our early response)

I am thankful for all the health-care workers who are laying down their lives to care for the those affected.

I am grateful for the best health-care system in the world!

I am thankful for teachers and schools who now have the ability to teach most subjects on-line.  I know it will be a huge challenge, but one that I am sure they will succeed at doing.

I am thankful for the nearby stores and services that provide all the things I need to live.

I am grateful for a faith family at our church that encourages me to continually press into the Lord, in prayer and worship.

I am grateful for the removal of many unnecessary things, that help us to focus on the important things, like family.

I am grateful that we have an abundance of online resources, and entertainment, although I prefer the old fashioned cards and games!

I am grateful that the weather is not making life more difficult, (at least that is true here in KC).

I am grateful that we entering into spring, and reminded of the new life that follows winter.

I am grateful for my relationship with the Lord, for he helps me to gain a healthy and balanced perspective, and gives me peace.

Finally, and certainly not last, I am grateful that I get to be home with my love everyday for the next weeks!



I know our world will be changed, but I am praying it will be for the better!  I am grateful for every good gift that I have been given, and grateful for the opportunity to live in days of such abundance and blessing.  I know that I will have many opportunities to love in real and active ways in the coming days, and I am grateful for the opportunity to do so!

May God Bless us all and help us to look to Him and look after one another!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment