Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, March 20, 2020

A Time to Selah

In the Psalms there is a word that is often used "selah".  Its meaning is not known for sure, but it is used 71 times in the Psalms.  Most people think it means a musical interlude, or the invitation to stop and think.  It seems to me that we are being given a moment in our collective lives to "selah", to stop and think, to listen to the music of our lives and those around us, to contemplate those things that matter most!  What a beautiful gift is time!  Let us choose to embrace this time and let us consider our lives, our loves, our passions and let us embrace those that are of greatest value.

Here is an example of "selah" used in one of my favorite Psalms - Psalm 84:1-8 NASB:

[1] "How lovely are Your dwelling places, O LORD of hosts!
[2] My soul longed and even yearned for the courts of the LORD;
My heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.
[3] The bird also has found a house, And the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young,
Even Your altars, O LORD of hosts, My King and my God.
[4] How blessed are those who dwell in Your house! They are ever praising You. Selah.

[5] How blessed is the man whose strength is in You, In whose heart are the highways to Zion!
[6] Passing through the valley of Baca they make it a spring; The early rain also covers it with blessings.
[7] They go from strength to strength, Every one of them appears before God in Zion.
[8] O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer; Give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah.


In this selah moment this morning,  I was sitting down to pray and the thought hit me that we are now, each of us, as effective in ministry as anyone else, as churches are no longer meeting together, and we all have spheres of influence that we can minster light and hope to around us.  We can love on our neighbors and family, we can be bearers of His presence, we can lay down our lives in real and practical ways.  We can even live stream or post videos on line.   We can give to those in need!

On the home front, we can improve our homes and family relationships.  We can do those things we have put off previously due to busyness.  We can spend quality time with our spouses and loved ones, having long and deep conversations.  We can create call lists, of people we want to connect with, and work our way down the lists, and repeat as time allows.  We can take the time to do those projects that would have previously interrupted our social lives!

I know for me, the opportunity to be home every evening, to cease my travels, is a blessing.  I don't have to sleep in different hotel beds multiple nights per month.  I can walk my dog every day, get up every morning and have time for prayer and reflection and coffee.  I can eat at home and manage my diet much easier and with less temptations than eating out multiple times per month.  I have created my list of projects and am starting to work my way through them in the evenings.  I even got out the weights and started working out a few times a week.  I can finish reading several books that I have started reading.  My goal is to personally grow and prosper during these weeks and possibly months.

As I look on Facebook and other online social media, I am seeing more people turn towards positive and uplifting posts and I am encouraged.  I am seeing people choosing to look out for each other, working to connect with and bless those around them. It really is a time for us to come together, to embrace those around us, and let the best parts of our human nature shine out!  Its time to stop being focused on our own survival, and instead embrace this time of rest, this opportunity before us and "selah"!

Blessings,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment