Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, March 28, 2020

Born Anew, Born From Above

This morning I am reflecting on some verses from John 3.  I got there via John 19.  I find that sometimes the Lord leads me on short treasure hunts, where He has me start in one place, which leads me to another.  I am not sure why that is the case, but I am sure part of the reason is teaching me to listen.  This morning as I went to the scripture, in prayer, I felt like I should read from John 19, which is a chapter that speaks of Jesus' sentencing and death.  When I feel led to a certain chapter that I have read many times, I read through it afresh, looking for that which stands out to my mind and spirit. 

This morning, while all the verses in Chapter 19 are worthy of reflection, I found myself reflecting on the two men who took Jesus body, after He died, and buried him.  The two are Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus.  We know nothing about Joseph, except that which is listed here and in all three of the other Gospels, that he was a rich man and a believer.  However, I was reminded of a couple of mentions of Nicodemus, and he is first mentioned in John chapter 3, which is how I found myself reading and reflecting on these verses.  The verses are as follows - John 3:1-8 NIV:

[1] "Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. [2] He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

[3] "Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. ”

[4] “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother's womb to be born!”

[5] Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. [6] Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. [7] You should not be surprised at my saying, 'You must be born again.' [8] The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”

The specific verse that caught my attention is verse 3, which is Jesus' reply to Nicodemus's statement that they know Jesus is from God because of the signs He was performing.  Jesus' response to this seems slightly off subject, for he doesn't address the specific subject, but introduces a whole new thought which results in revelation of new truth to Nicodemus.  It seems to me that this is the way most of my conversations with the Lord go, I start in one place, and end up somewhere else, with new revelation or understanding being the result, today is a good example of that.

Nicodemus is alluding to Jesus being sent from God, which is actually HUGE news, as there had been a drought of hearing from God for over 300 years.  Jesus uses this statement to leap into new revelation, explaining that they are entering into a time of the Kingdom of God being visible, here on earth, but that seeing it requires a "new birth" or a "birth form above".  The Greek word used by John here, can be translated either way.  Nicodemus, is instantly engaged, and drawn into the conversation.  How is the new birth to be accomplished? I don't see this term being used anywhere in the Old Testament, thus Nicodemus is drawn in, asking for clarity.

Jesus thus releases the new revelation, to enter into the Kingdom of God, one must be born of the Spirit, indicating the Holy Spirit.  This is far more than following the Law, trying to establish one's righteousness through actions, this requires God's action.  This is really one of the first glimpses of the Gospel of Grace.  It is something that is impossible for man, and only possible for God!  Then Jesus speaks of being led by the Spirit, as being blown along by the wind, and this would be true of everyone born again or from above.  Oh, that we might be aware of this heavenly wind in our lives!

As I reflect on these verses today, I am encouraged by two things.  First, that Jesus is always working to draw us into deeper understanding.  I think that all of us are being given a time of separation, a time of rest in which we can pursue Him more regularly, and gain greater revelation, just through regular conversation with Him.  Secondly, I am encouraged to be conscious of the movement of the Holy Spirit, listening to the wind, and following where He is blowing. 

My prayer for us all is that we might learn to converse with the Lord, to be led by the Lord and to learn from the Lord!

Blessings,

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment