Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Live Unafraid!

Today, as I sit down to pray, these verses from Paul's letter to the church in Philippi seem more relevant - Philippians 1:12-14,19-20,27 NIV:

[12] "Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. [13] As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. [14] And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear."

[19]..."for I know that through your prayers and God's provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. [20] I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death."

[27] "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel."

Paul, as one of the primary evangelists, was writing this from prison.  He was in chains, yet he saw the Church come alive in response to his imprisonment.  I think that we are seeing something similar, except its not just Paul that is being locked up, but rather pretty much every congregation, every church body (at least here in the US).

I believe we are being given an unprecedented opportunity to be the light of Christ in our homes and in our neighborhoods and in our daily witness.  The world is reeling from fear, and needs the witness of those that live without fear.  Not saying that we walk around endangering others through flagrant disregard, but rather that we would live in such a way that whether we live unaffected or are infected, our lives are a witness of love, joy and peace.

Can our lives echo Paul's words, "now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death"?

Can we live our lives not reacting in fear, but rather steadfast in love and faith? 

Can we look to others first?

In these radical times, those who live differently will shine!

I am unaccustomed to asking my neighbors if they need anything from the store when I go out.  I am unaccustomed to calling my family, friends and neighbors regularly to check on them.  I am unaccustomed to looking for ways I can serve others in my every day life.  I am unaccustomed to much, and yet, I know I need to change my behavior to learn to serve, to love, to be a light.

I am not challenged with sickness, nor is anyone in my family, and for that I am grateful.  I don't need to deal with that reality, but every day there are thousands who are dealing with that reality, and I am speaking of our healthcare and medical professions, and our law enforcement members.  As many have rightfully noted, they are on the front lines in this battle, and they are unable to let fear rule their lives.   Whether fearful or not, they continue to work and serve.  Would the church step up to partner with those in their bodies, and those who are not, who serve in these capacities?  Would the church learn to help, to provide meals, support and relief from other cares these people have?  Can we find ways to love them in real and practical ways, in spite of these "shelter in place" rules?

Can the church do the same for the elderly, for those who are alone, and in need of help?  Can we look for safe ways to ease the burden of life for those we know, those we know of, and those who are living in greatest fear?

I am reminded of a couple of scriptures - Matthew 5:14-16 NIV:

[14] “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. [15] Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. [16] In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

- and -

Philippians 2:13-16 NIV:

...[13] "for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

[14] "Do everything without grumbling or arguing, [15] so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky [16] as you hold firmly to the word of life."


Let us hold firmly to the "word of life" and let us let our lives shine in this present dark time!  Let us run the race set before us with love, mercy, compassion, hope and faith!  Let us embrace these days and live unafraid!  Let us surround those in need of support, encouragement and help!  Let us be the Body of Christ alive, unafraid and unshackled!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment