Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, March 25, 2020

A Personal Soundtrack

This morning as I sat down to pray, I was turning my mind and heart towards Him, and it was like I was suddenly I aware that I had all these favorite verses running through my head.  It was almost like they had been playing in the background all along, and as I paid attention I suddenly heard them.  Oh, that I would have my own life sound-track of God's Word constantly playing in the background! 

Anyway, one of the verses that came to mind during that was a set of verses from my favorite Old Testament Prophet Isaiah.  I haven't reflected on these for a long while, so this morning that is my goal.  Here are the verses - Isaiah 40:25-31 NIV:

[25] “To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?” says the Holy One.
[26] Lift up your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these?
He who brings out the starry host one by one and calls forth each of them by name.
Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.

[27] Why do you complain, Jacob? Why do you say, Israel,
“My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God”?

[28] Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

[29] He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
[30] Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
[31] but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."


Oh Lord, we do need strength and power, for we are weary and weak!  Oh Lord, I specifically pray this for our healthcare and medical professionals, those to whom the task of caring for all of the sick has fallen.  Lord give them strength, give them power, give them wings like eagles that allow them to soar on the winds of Your Holy Spirit!  Help them to run and not grow weary!

Going back tot he verses, I find the injection of verse 27 into what is essentially a song of praise interesting.  Its like Isaiah is cruising along, praising God in His power and majesty and suddenly, this image of the tribe of Jacob comes to mind and he hears their specific complaints against God!   As I was reading it this morning I was thinking, "what's that doing there?"

As I think more on this, I realize that is often my exact experience.  I might be praising the Lord, or worshipping or reflecting upon His glorious word, and out of left field comes this thought, "yeah, He isn't that great, don't you remember how He didn't answer this particular prayer?"  Another common thought, especially in difficult times is, "Why are you worshipping God? He is punishing you for all your sinful ways."  I know well the voice of the deceiver, the liar, the accuser, and usually can just toss the thought aside and keep on pressing into worship and praise.

However, especially during long periods of difficulty, I find myself starting to agree with that ugly voice, and if I don't pay close attention, find my self all wrapped up in a self-pity party! 

I love how Isaiah breaks into that pity-party train of thought with his verses, "Do you not know? Have you not heard?"  All I need to do is exactly that, remind myself of all the good God as done!  As I remind myself of His goodness and faithfulness, the lies are exposed and I am able to to continue to worship the Lord!  In fact, as I think about it, more often then not, I am actually reminded of new reasons to thank God, and of other answered prayers! 

This morning, this has been a good reflection to help me focus my thoughts and my heart's song on the goodness and faithfulness of God, in spite of the difficulty that is surrounding us.  I am reminded of God's sovereignty, His awesome power, and His willingness to bless me with strength and encouragement!

I want those thoughts to be my life's soundtrack!  I want to constantly be calling to mind all that the Lord has done and all the ways He has blessed me!  I want my heart to be singing quietly in the background, so that when I can turn my mind fully to the Lord, my soundtrack's music comes pouring out of my mouth.

May the Lord Bless you and keep you safe this day!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment