Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, March 19, 2020

Why So Downcast? Put Your Hope In God!

As I sat down to pray, the phrase "Why so downcast" popped into my mind.  Now that is not the way I feel, nor a normal question I ask myself, so I figured it must be an encouragement for us all.  The phrase is found a couple of times in Psalms 42 & 43.  I love the beauty of the inner conversation described here, and think we could use an internal pep-talk, like the Psalmist.  Here is Psalm 42:1-11 NIV:

[1] "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.
[2] My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?
[3] My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?”
[4] These things I remember as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng.

[5] Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.

[6] My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan,
the heights of Hermon---from Mount Mizar.
[7] Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me.
[8] By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me---a prayer to the God of my life.

[9] I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?”
[10] My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?”

[11] Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."

As I read through this psalm this morning, I see a couple of things.  First, there is a constant struggle to keep perspective.  The fear of unknowing, the pain of loneliness, the concern for ones future, the confrontation of one's true situation, the realization of the fragility of life and our economy, the constant barrage of bad news, all can make it difficult to keep a balanced, if not a positive outlook.  The psalmist goes back and forth between reminding themselves of God's goodness, and feeling downcast.

I was thinking that the word "downcast" is important here, as in looking down, focused on oneself, and not seeing the bigger picture, the ways of God!  When I am downcast, I have a hard time seeing past my present situation or circumstance, even to the point of remembering past good times.  The psalmist ends the song with the charge to themselves to "Put your hope in God!" and we would do well to take the same approach.

God is bigger than all of this!  God is intimately aware of our circumstances!  God is the God of the impossible.  Let us turn our eyes to Him. Let us remind ourselves of His blessings and goodness.

Let us turn to God in prayer and unload our cares and concerns in long conversation.  Even though He is aware of our circumstances, He loves to hear from us, to hear us express our needs, cares and concerns.  Then, let us listen to Him, and hear what He says in return.  Let us learn to hear His voice in the midst of all the clamour and chaos.  Let us listen to the deep chorus of love that surrounds us and lifts us up.

Let us quench our thirst for God, for His presence, for His word that brings peace and understanding!  Let us press into Him with our whole hearts.

Finally, let us seek His will in how we can be His hands, His eyes, His ears to those around us!  Jesus demonstrated an amazing ability to connect with those in need, in deeply personal ways.  Let us be His representatives in these strange days, in which we find ourselves.  Let us remind ourselves of His unfailing love, and let us remind others of the same, and be expressions of that love wherever we can!

Peace and Love!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment