Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Desire of Our Hearts

This morning I was reading Psalm 37 which has one of my favorite verse - vs. 4: "Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart."  I must confess I have always like the second half of the verse - the part about receiving the desires of my heart.  This morning I was wondering if the original Hebrew version means what I think of when I read this verse, so I decided to do some research.


In this verse the word delight - is the Hebrew word 'anag' which means to be delicate, to enjoy, find delight in, and be sensitive to...


The word that is translated desires is the Hebrew word 'misala' which means requests.  It is closely related to the word 'saal' which means - to ask, to inquire, to ask intently, beg, or ask permission...


So, the verse could more accurately be translated - 'Take delight and enjoy and be sensitive to the Lord  and He will give you those things you ask for, those things you seek intently, those things He has permitted you to ask of Him.'  


This is not exactly the way I would understand it - as my focus is on my desires.  This seems much more relational, much more intimate, and has more interaction. I think it reflects the fact that the more we understand and know the Lord, and enjoy Him, our hearts become more attuned to Him, and the desires of our heart flow out of that relationship.  I think we have a good model for this in the lives of a married couple who are very much in love - the desires of their hearts flow out of their relationship with their spouse.


Lord, help us to learn how to delight in You in this way, that our hearts might become attuned to Yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment