Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Kingdom Like a Mustard Seed

Yesterday I was continuing my read through Matthews Gospel, and read Matt13: 31-32 which reads:  "He (Jesus) told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all your seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches.”


I have read and re-read this passage many times, yet while reading it this time, I felt like I wasn't fully understanding this parable so I decided to do some research.  I looked up the verse on www.studylight.org and saw that several interesting comments and facts, such as:


1) The mustard plant that grew in Israel didn't grow into a tree, it grew into a shrub at most maybe 10 ft. tall.
2) The Mustard plant is not generally planted in a garden or agricultural field as it is a bit like a bad weed, once established it takes over
3) Birds don't particularly like to rest in mustard bush


After reading these comments, I had to think about what Jesus was trying to communicate about the Kingdom of Heaven to people who would have known these facts?  I believe that He was commenting on the surprising nature of the Kingdom of Heaven as follows:


1) Not only does it grow quickly from a tiny seed, but it will surpass what anyone would think is naturally possible, becoming a mighty tree when it should only be a bush.
2) The planting in the field/garden indicates God's protection and care over the Kingdom - He will be watching over and cultivating this plant and protecting it because of its great value to Him
3) The birds coming to its branches talks of rest and refuge for all.


Lord, help us to hear what You are saying and embrace Your Kingdom.  We want to be a part of the surprising Kingdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment