Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Entering God's Rest

This morning I was reading through Psalm 95.  The second part of that psalm that always gets me is Ps 95:10-11:


"For forty years I was angry with that generation; I said, “They are a people whose hearts go astray, and they have not known my ways.”  So I declared on oath in my anger, “They shall never enter my rest.”


This verse is discussed by the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews in chapter 4:1-12. Here are verses 1 & 2 from the Amplified Bible:


1 THEREFORE, WHILE the promise of entering His rest still holds and is offered [today], let us be afraid [ [a] to distrust it], lest any of you should [b] think he has come too late and has come short of [reaching] it.


2 For indeed we have had the glad tidings [Gospel of God] proclaimed to us just as truly as they [the Israelites of old did when the good news of deliverance from bondage came to them]; but the message they heard did not benefit them, because it was not mixed with faith (with [c] the leaning of the entire personality on God in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness) by those who heard it; [d] neither were they united in faith with the ones [Joshua and Caleb] who heard (did believe).


In other words, God had a plan, but the Israelites didn't enter into that plan due to their lack of faith (believing the God would deliver the land into their hands) even after He had already done significant miracles in their presence.  I wonder how long it would have taken them to enter fully into God's rest (the land) if they had entered the land at this time, rather than reacting in fear to the inhabitants of the land.


Exodus 23:20-30 talks about God's original plan.  Here are verses 27-30:


“I will send my terror ahead of you and throw into confusion every nation you encounter. I will make all your enemies turn their backs and run. 28 I will send the hornet ahead of you to drive the Hivites, Canaanites and Hittites out of your way. 29 But I will not drive them out in a single year, because the land would become desolate and the wild animals too numerous for you. 30 Little by little I will drive them out before you, until you have increased enough to take possession of the land."


I could imagine the people of Israel being upset that it was going to take time, rather wanting to take possession of the whole land immediately.  God had a better idea.  He knew that they couldn't occupy the land and hold the land in their present condition.  They were too small and would ultimately be overcome, and experience no rest at all.  God's plan, while taking effort and time, would enable them to not only occupy but maintain their hold of that which God gave them.  


I know I can learn much from this, as I always want God to move immediately.  I want to see the complete fulfillment of His plan, not recognizing that I need to grow, mature and put forth effort to really possess the land that God is giving me.  


Hebrews 4:11 says it well:  "Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience."


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment