Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Greatest is Love

(NIV)1 Corinthians 13:1-3, 13
"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. [2] If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. [3] If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.


[13] And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."


Part of my morning meditation today and yesterday has been on Love. I think the last line of verse 13 is so important, "But the greatest of these is Love." I am reminded of Jesus statement in John 15:


(NIV)John 15:12-13, 17
"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. [13] Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends...17] This is my command: Love each other."


And in John 13:


(NIV)John 13:34-35
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


The Lord clearly communicates the importance of love, not emotional love but sacrificial love, being of utmost importance. Our love is meant to be the primary sign of our following Him. Its meant to bind us together, and fuel our every effort. We are called to love our spouses, love our children, love our parents, love those around us, both in the church and outside the church. We are called to grow in love, even to the point of loving our enemies. This love is meant to be real, pouring out of heart and actions, not just warm and good feelings, but sacrifically laying down our lives - our wants, plans, time, needs, and attention - and turning our focus on those we are meant to love.


As I read these verses I am reminded of the opportunity for growth I have in this area. My tendency is to focus on my own needs and wants, grasping tightly to my life, rather than laying it down.   Lord, I pray that You will help me to live out Your words, putting into practice what I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment