Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Setting Our Affections Above

This Morning I was reading from Col 3:1-5:


"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your [a] life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.


5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry."


These verses are challenging in their other-worldness. Paul says to set our hearts and minds on things above - heaven. We have such a hard time grasping anything that is on earth but out of our area or sphere of experience, to set our hearts and minds on heaven is very difficult.


The reality that we can a fix our heart and minds to is Jesus! He dwells there in Heaven, and by setting our affections and heart upon Him, we are able to live as Paul encouraged us. Truly part of our life, the eteneral component is now hidden in Heaven with Jesus. We are eternal beings, and that reality is still hidden in its fullness.


So, because this is true, we should now put to death, or die to those attractions of our earthly bodies, and earthly lives. Our lives are now much more than our appetites and wants, but are now eternally significant.

No comments:

Post a Comment