Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 10, 2014

Consider Others First


This evening I am reading from 1 Peter 3:8-9 NIV:

[8] "Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble. [9] Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing."

These are two very rich verses. I am just going to break them down word by word:

Like-mindedness: the Greek word means together thinking and perceiving. This is such an interesting concept, because I think in America we value our independence and thinking the same as others is often seen as compromising our beliefs. I think that is exactly what Paul is encouraging them to do, to lay down their own opinions and thoughts and consider the way others think and learn to think together. I think this is actually very hard to do, and still provide a nonjudgmental environment at the same time. It is something that takes time to establish as a culture, and something that must be chosen, certainly not forced.

Sympathetic: means to experience the same as someone else, if they suffer you are suffering. This is again requires the laying down of our own lives and willingly embracing the lives of those around us, and connecting ourselves to them. Suffering is especially trying, and difficult. Everyone is happy to celebrate with you when you are celebrating, but it seems that it is a rare friend who will suffer with you when you suffer. It is a great challenge and one that you must enter into willingly.

Love one another: this really encompasses both of the earlier words, for this is speaking of the love Jesus commanded us to have for each other. He calls us and invites us to that greater place of sacrificial love, putting someone else before ourselves. He said, "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." (John 15:13).

Compassionate: the Greek means to have good feelings in ones gut (bowels). This would be the Greek understanding of where our emotions rise out of, synonymous with our heart. In other words our bowels are moved, our heart is moved, it is impossible not to take action one is so moved by another. This is deeply felt love, capable of causing us to put down whatever we are concerned with and becoming involved. It says many times that Jesus was moved with compassion when He saw the people and the result was usually miracles!

Humble: the Greek here actually means courteous and friendly, kind to one another. Being friendly is also a choice, something we must choose to do, for being short, sharp, crabby, spiteful, angry and foul are just too easy, especially if one is self-focused. That is where the idea of humility comes from, namely looking to others, and considering their needs before ones own. A humble individual doesn't need to, nor should they think poorly of him or herself, just highly of others, putting the others before themselves, choosing the others first. If one is courteous, one let's the other go first...that is the idea of Peter here. Jesus knew He was the Son of God, yet He served others, even washing their feet like the lowliest servant.

Imagine a church where everyone practiced these things! It would be amazing!

Finally, the call is to bless in all circumstances, whether you have received blessings or curses, insults or evil actions. I could generally agree to all the first ideas, but this one really stretches me. I want to defend myself, I want to payback injury with injury, yet we are called to follow Jesus' example. I don't want to be seen as weak, wimpy, unable to defend myself or my honor. The idea that we return all this with blessing, and not just saying the words of blessing but actually meaning them is incredible. I was listening to one of my favorite teachers, Graham Cooke, and he was telling how there was a pastor who was attacking his (Graham's) ministry constantly. As Graham sought the Lord on his response the Lord told him to bless the other pastor financially. He actually had Graham go down to the cash machine, take out cash, put it in an unmarked envelope and slide it under this man's door, not just once but for months on end. That is the type of blessing that we are called to do! Wow! All I can say is help me Lord Jesus, I don't think that is in me yet.

So let us think on these themes, think of these words and see how we can sow them into our lives! What we sow, that is what we reap!

Amen Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment