Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Testified by Power

This morning, while doing a little research of the Gifts of the Spirit, I came across these verses - Hebrews 2:1-4 NIV:

[1] "We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away. [2] For since the message spoken through angels was binding, and every violation and disobedience received its just punishment, [3] how shall we escape if we ignore so great a salvation? This salvation, which was first announced by the Lord, was confirmed to us by those who heard him. [4] God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and by gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to his will."

The author of the Letter to the Hebrews knew his audience would always approach things from their background of understanding the law, and thus starts this point by referencing the law ("message spoken through angels"). He compares the law which was given to them in this way to the message of salvation that pronounced by Jesus Christ, the very Son of God. His message is simple, if they believed and followed the law, how much more should they embrace this message of salvation which came from God's Son?

I like the parallels he draws, for the people of the Old Testament were convinced of the authenticity of the message concerning the Law, because God worked miracles. You could say that the miracles and signs and wonders that God did testified to His authorship and involvement. In the same way, the Lord's Gospel of salvation was testified to by the signs and wonders and miracles that were done by Jesus, as well as the Apostles and disciples, and church.

Jesus said these signs were meant to convince us that He was from God and of God - John 14:10-11 NIV: "Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. [11] Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves."

As I think about this, I think one of the reasons we see a weakening church is the lack of the testimony of miracles, signs and wonders. This is what convinced the Israelites in the Old Testament and the people of Jesus' time, why would we be any different? Are we so modern in our thinking as to no longer need miracles and signs and wonders to help us realize that God is real and His words are true? Or have we settled for intellectual knowledge, and based our beliefs on the words and tradition? It seems to me that the Church was birthed in power (Acts 2) and the Gospel was testified to by power (1 Cor 2:4; 1 Thess 1:5), and is meant to be experienced as such.

Let us ask the Lord to breath on the Church and restore the signs and wonders and miracles that testify to Him. Let us pray for a full restoration of the Power of the Holy Spirit to the church!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment