Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, November 27, 2014

No Enemy Can Stand


This morning I am reading from Acts 9, which is the story of Paul's conversion. It really is an amazing story. Here are a few key verses - Acts 9:10-19 NIV:

[10] "In Damascus there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, “Ananias!”

“Yes, Lord,” he answered.

[11] The Lord told him, “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. [12] In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight.”

[13] “Lord,” Ananias answered, “I have heard many reports about this man and all the harm he has done to your holy people in Jerusalem. [14] And he has come here with authority from the chief priests to arrest all who call on your name.”

[15] But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. [16] I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.”

[17] Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord---Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here---has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.” [18] Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, [19] and after taking some food, he regained his strength. Saul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus."

I can imagine the surprise of the early church when the Lord chose Saul to be his "chosen instrument". He was one of the chief enemies of the church and was aggressively pursuing them, trying to destroy the church. If you ever wondered if the Lord was capable of taking care of His Church, this example should settle that concern. The Lord completely disarms Saul and turns him from being a bully to being a bulldog for Him. The Lord steals one of the enemies chiefs weapons against the church and converts him into one of the greatest evangelists to ever live. Awesome!

I also love the way the Lord confirmed His Word with supernatural acts and miracles. Here is a great example of how logic and knowledge of the Word was insufficient to bring about conversion, but a power encounter and supernatural occurrences completely convinced Saul and brought about his conversion. In Acts 26, Paul speaks about his upbringing and his pursuit of the church as follows - Acts 26:4-5, 9-11 NIV:

[4] “The Jewish people all know the way I have lived ever since I was a child, from the beginning of my life in my own country, and also in Jerusalem. [5] They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing, that I conformed to the strictest sect of our religion, living as a Pharisee.

[9] “I too was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth. [10] And that is just what I did in Jerusalem. On the authority of the chief priests I put many of the Lord’s people in prison, and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. [11] Many a time I went from one synagogue to another to have them punished, and I tried to force them to blaspheme. I was so obsessed with persecuting them that I even hunted them down in foreign cities."

Paul knew the word of God, had lived a life of righteousness according to the law, was zealous for God, but had totally missed the Good News. Paul must have been a member of the Synagogue in Jerusalem, and was likely present for many of the events that were recorded in the earlier chapters of Acts. He must have heard the proclamation of the Gospel, and certainly heard Stephen's discourse that is recorded in Acts 7. Despite all of this exposure and a trained knowledge of the prophets and the very prophesies Jesus fulfilled, Paul's heart was unmoved, and likely hardened further.

I take great encouragement that the Lord is fully capable of drawing anyone to himself and bringing about their conversion. There are several people that I know that have not received salvation yet, and for whom I am praying. This story gives me great hope for them. No matter how resistant to the Gospel, no matter how strong their mind and arguments against the Lord, He can intervene and convince them of their need for salvation. The one thing I need to do is be ready to do my part should the Lord ever call me like Ananias. The Lord does use us to confirm His words, to bring healing and work miracles, and we must be ready when we are given the opportunity.

Lord, we pray that You would intervene in the lives of those who have not yet understood their need for salvation or You. Break into their lives with signs and wonders and supernatural situations that they cannot argue away. Lord, we ask that You would convert all those that are attacking Your church, for none of Your enemies can stand against You! Thank You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment