Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Paul's Peace and Perspective of His Purpose

This morning I am reading from Paul's letter to the Philippians 1:12-14, 19-26 NIV:

[12] "Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. [13] As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ. [14] And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.

...[19] for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance. [20] I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. [21] For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. [22] If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! [23] I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; [24] but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. [25] Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, [26] so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me."

I am amazed at Paul's attitude concerning his imprisonment and being kept under guard. As he viewed his situation, he saw what the Lord was accomplishing through his chains, namely the increased boldness of sharing the gospel, as well as the gospel being preached to the palace guard, a group that would normally not have been the recipients of the gospel because of their duty. Paul has his eyes open and sees the working of the Lord in all things.

In verses 19-25 he expresses such a peacefulness in the face of his possible death, it is very encouraging. He understands his ultimate destiny and his hearts true home and is unafraid of the path to get there. He is convinced that the Lord has more for him to do here on earth. That is such an unusual sentiment in our day, having a clear sense of what the Lord has planned for one to do and how long it will probably take. Most of us are unaware of our purpose or calling, or the Lord's plans for our life. Even those who walk with the Lord regularly often don't have this perspective. I think this is partly because we don't want to know. We want to live our lives believing we have a long and productive life ahead of us. We don't like being confronted with our own mortality.

Paul, on the other hand welcomes the consideration of his mortality with increasing anticipation, calling the chance to be with Christ far better than life here. I am convinced that this is not based on a rosy picture of heaven or paradise, but rather a personal knowledge of Jesus, and the fullness of relationship available to him. My point is that he had correctly assigned value to that which is most valuable, eternal life with Christ Jesus.

Finally, Paul is writing this relatively late in his life, after all his missionary trips, after founding and establishing churches all over, and yet he still sees that there is remaining work for him to do in the Body of Christ. If anyone could retire, based on his accomplishments, it would be Paul, yet he understands his role and purpose and knows there is work that still remains to be accomplished. I think he fully embraced his earlier verse 1:6..."being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Paul knew that if he placed his confidence in Jesus that he would complete all that he had been appointed to do. He was confident in Christ, confident in His goodness and faithfulness. He was confident that all things would be useful and lead to Christ's greater glory, so he was unafraid of hardship or suffering.

Oh to have the same perspective and understanding of our purpose and God's faithfulness to complete the good work He began in us! Help us Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment