Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Missing the Big Moment.


This evening I am reading from John 13:31-36 NIV:

[31] "When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified and God is glorified in him. [32] If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once. [33] “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.

[34] “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

[36] Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?” Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”

This really an amazing scripture, as apparently Peter totally missed one of Jesus' most significant statements, the NEW commandment. Do you see how Peter remains totally fixated on the statement Jesus made previously about them not being able to go where He was going? He totally misses the part where Jesus is speaking a new commandment, something that hadn't happened since Moses' time. This is also one of the times where Jesus clearly equates Himself with the Father, as His obedient son. Only God can issue commandments to the Jews.

Peter, however, is totally fixed on Jesus leaving them. We get a glimpse of what is going on in his heart a bit later, but it is clear that Peter is no longer thinking about the Kingdom or the Father's will, but rather is selfishly focused on himself and his relationship with Jesus. He was still in it for himself, and it will take the passion and crucification for Peter to realize that.

So my question for me is 'have I ever missed the commandment of the Lord because I was too focused on myself?'. Do I get fixated on the last thing that the Lord has said and totally miss the new word from Him? Am I more focused on my position than I am on the work in front of me?

Lord, I pray that You will help me and keep me from missing what You are saying!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment