Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Its All About Relationship

This morning I am reflecting on some challenging verses from Luke 13:22-27 NIV:

[22] "Then Jesus went through the towns and villages, teaching as he made his way to Jerusalem. [23] Someone asked him, “Lord, are only a few people going to be saved?”

He said to them, [24] “Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. [25] Once the owner of the house gets up and closes the door, you will stand outside knocking and pleading, ‘Sir, open the door for us.’ “But he will answer, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from.’ [26]

“Then you will say, ‘We ate and drank with you, and you taught in our streets.’

[27] “But he will reply, ‘I don’t know you or where you come from. Away from me, all you evildoers!’"

I must say I haven't liked reading these verses in the past because they make salvation seem so limited, and that seems to disagree with other statements that Jesus made. As I was reading them this morning, I had a different take, and understanding. Putting these verses in context of what Jesus was teaching about and dealing with is helpful. He is approaching the end of His ministry and people are still not understanding, Pharisees are still asking stupid questions and viewing things from a purely religious works perspective. Jesus takes an opportunity, afforded Him when someone asks the question about salvation, to explain what He is inviting people to, that is relationship.

If we look closely at His statements, He says that people will be rejected because the owner doesn't know them or where they come from. This is the language of relationship. This is the key, its all about relationship. He says, "I don't know you or where you come from". These are the things we know about the people with whom we are in relationship. We know them, we understand them, and we know their history, their story. This only comes through time spent, conversation, intimacy and honesty - all key components of relationship.

Hanging out with the owner "eating and drinking" is not enough. I believe this is a picture of the Lord's supper, or communion. It is not enough to go to church and participate in the service, as proximity and casual acquaintance doesn't bring salvation. Nor is it enough to know his teaching -"you taught in our streets". Jesus says neither will suffice and result in salvation. It is knowing and being known that is the key message, the key requirement.

Jesus was addressing those who were around Him, but were not engaged in relating to Him, for I am sure there were many who hung out for the free meals and excitement of what He did, but never grasped the significance of what He said. He came as the Father's perfect representation and was approachable by all, and invited all to know and be known. I am reminded of His statements from John 10:14-16 NIV: “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me--- [15] just as the Father knows me and I know the Father---and I lay down my life for the sheep. [16] I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

Its all about relationship, to know and be known. Let us pursue Him, as He is the way, the truth and the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment