Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, April 30, 2020

At The Entrance Of Our Tents


This morning I have been spending some time in the Book of Numbers, which is definitely not a book I regularly read, however I felt led to read from there today.  I spent some time in Numbers 10, looking at the way the Lord moved all the people of Israel when they would set out from place to place.  He gave them very specific instructions about the order in which they were to move, effectively orchestrating their times of transition from place to place. (See Number 10:13-36)

As I was reflecting on this, I realized that there is a certain parallel to our present time.  We, as the Church, are all camping in our own tents (homes) if you will, no longer gathering together.  We are clearly in a time of transition, and while this time caught us by surprise, the Lord's presence is clearly still with us.  He is leading us through this time, and while we don't know exactly where we will end up, we can be confident that God is still firmly in control.

A couple of things I noted, as I continued reading into Numbers, chapter 11, the people started complaining about their hardships during their transition, and later were complaining about the lack of tasty food, for they were eating manna.  In both cases, they angered the Lord, primarily because they lost sight of all He had done and was doing for them, and instead focused on the things they once had, but now didn't.  I don't want to get into a long bit about how we live under a different Covenant now, established by the Blood of Jesus, but suffice it to say that these types of actions do not call down God's wrath upon us now.  That being said, the effect of our losing sight of God's blessing upon us is still something we need to be aware of, and deal with in our lives.

It is interesting how quickly I can lose sight of the goodness of the Lord when I am looking at myself, and focused on me.  In this time of transition, I am tempted to look back at how much better life was before this time, and think that I want to go back, but the way of the Lord is forward, into something new.  I must keep my eyes focused on Him, and lean into Him for understanding and His provision, for clearly the Lord provided for His people during this time. If I am focused on myself, I can become angry, bitter and resentful, and lose way.  I am no longer a good witness to the blessings of God, nor am I able to see well the path the Lord has laid out for me, because I am not looking at Him.  I can walk past His blessings, never seeing them (see Jer 17:5-8).

Going back to Numbers, one of the verses found in Number 11:10 says Moses heard all the people wailing at the entrance to their tents. Again, in a bit of parallelism, we are all in our own homes, and if we are complaining and wailing to the Lord, it is from our own tents.  As I was reading this, I was reminded of a few verses from Exodus, where instead of complaining, the people were attentive from the entrance of their tents (See Exodus 33:7-11).  The people would watch from the entrance of their tents when the Cloud of God's presence would settle over the tent of meeting, when Moses went out to meet with God.   The people, from their own tents were watching the Presence of God, and when it settled on the tent, they would all worship from their own entrances to their tents (Ex 33:10).  How much better for our us to be worshipping from our homes, rather than complaining and wanting to go back to what is past?

In summary, I am encouraged this morning to set my heart and mind upon the Lord, looking forward to Him, rather than at myself, or at our past.  He is doing a new thing!  As the Lord said through Isaiah, "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:19 NIV).

I can choose this day, who and what I will focus on.  I can choose and set my heart to follow after the Lord, or as Joshua said, "But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." ( Joshua 24:15 NIV).  What I choose to do in my tent, matters to God.

Amen!


May the Lord bless you and provide for you during this time of transition.  May He guide your feet, your thoughts and actions!  May His peace be your constant companion.

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment