Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

When Life Doesn't Go As Planned


This morning I am reflecting on some verses from James, which seem somewhat appropriate today.  Here are the verses - James 4:13-17 NIV:

[13] "Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” [14] Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. [15] Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that.” [16] As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil. [17] If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn't do it, it is sin for them."

Although these verses are a bit sobering, the truth of them is certainly apparent at this present day.  I think about all the plans that have been ruined by this unexpected viral scourge.  I think of people's daily regimens being totally transformed. So much of what we took for granted, so many of the things from our typical life have been affected! I think of the jobs that have been lost, the businesses that are in danger of closing.  I think of the yet unseen impact of all the closings, the interruption of our supply chain, of our food processing, and I believe we still have a long way to go before life returns to anything like what we considered normal.

In this light, as I look at James' words, I see truth.  We were definitely living our lives as if nothing was really going to change, nor were many prepared for the cataclysmic changes that hit so quickly.  James goes on and calls all such planning arrogance.  The actual Greek word that is used is alazoneia, defined as follows:

1) empty, braggart talk
2) an insolent and empty assurance, which trusts in its own power and resources and shamefully despises and violates divine laws and human rights
3) an impious and empty presumption which trusts in the stability of earthy things

I think that the second and third definitions ring most true, for while our thinking and planning might not have been particularly insolent, or impious, the trusting in earthly things and ways was certainly in evidence, even those of us who are working to entrust our lives to the Lord, and to His direction. 

As I look at my own life, I certainly feel like I have been given an opportunity to reexamine my life and my affections and thoughts and plans.  I have been given the opportunity to look and see what things I have been relying on rather than the Lord.  I have been given the opportunity to see what things are most important in life, and frankly I was surprised toilet paper was so high on the list. :-)

Seriously, as I read and reflect on these verses, the sense of our smallness and lack of control over so many facets of my life is evident.  It is in times like these that we should be thinking about our lives, our significance, those things that are most important and ultimately our eternal destiny.  Last night my honey and I were discussing end-times, talking about some of the different interpretations of scripture, and all the different voices out there clamoring for an audience.  I believe the Lord is speaking into our lives and we must listen. 

However, whether or not we are in the "Last Days" or not, really doesn't matter to me.  I will have a personal last day in my lifetime, and I have no idea when that day will come, and it is that day for which I need to be prepared.  In the meantime, my life's goal is to live in such a way that I bring honor and glory to God, that I love Him and love others, as He loved me.  I do try to do the good I know I should do every day!  I try to make a positive difference in the lives of those around me, and represent the Lord in my actions and words.  Sometimes I fail miserably, but the next day I am back at it, working to live my life in the best way I know how. 

As I read these verses from James today, I am reassured that this simple life focus of loving God and loving others is enough for me.  Whether I ever do anything others consider significant or not, I plan on following the same path, daily loving God and loving those around me, up until my own last day.

Amen!

May the peace of God, His calmness in the storms of life, be yours today!  May He fill your life with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control, that you might represent Him in all your ways!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment