Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Our Stone of Help

This morning I have been all over in scripture, 1 Peter, James, and 1 Samuel. Some mornings are just that way, me trying to listen, and following the wisps of the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to lead, seeking His direction and guidance and word for me this day.

I ran across a story that caught my eye in 1 Sam 7, where the Ark is returned to Israel, and Samuel gathers all of Israel together to repent and change their ways.  While they are gathered the Philistine's hear about it and come up to attack them.  Samuel cries out to the Lord, sacrifices a lamb unto the Lord, and the Lord thunders from Heaven, and routs the Philistine's completely.  As a memorial, Samuel erects a memorial stone, and calls it Ebenezer, which means "Stone of Help"  (See 1 Sam 7:2b-12).

What I found interesting was there is a story three chapters earlier where Israel is defeated by the Philistines at a place called Ebenezer.  In this case, Israel has a first battle with the Philistines and lose the battle and a few thousand men.  They thought to themselves, 'its because we don't have the Ark of the Covenant', and so they send off and have it brought to them.  The problem is they never inquired of the Lord, nor even asked His help, they just brought the Ark into the camp, like His presence was a weapon they could yield at their own command.  Not a good plan, and they end up getting defeated terribly, even losing the Ark of the Covenant in their defeat (See 1 Sam 4:1-11).

As I was reflecting on these two stories, I realized there were some key things to consider, starting with the story from Chapter 4.

1) Israel had apparently lost most of their sense in how to follow God's direction in their lives.  They just figured they could grab God's presence (The Ark) at their own command, and use His presence as a weapon.  God never allowed this type of behavior previously, and if they had taken a moment to consider their history, they would have known that was true. 

2) They didn't seek the Lord's help, or cry to Him, turning their hearts to Him, they just expected Him to help them, because they had the Ark.  They didn't repent, change their ways, or humble themselves.

3) Looking at this situation, the Israelites were only worried about their stuff and their glory.  They thought God served them, rather than the other way around.


Looking at the story from chapter 7, we find a completely different mindset and response from God.

1) The people gather and repent, asking God's forgiveness, recognizing that they have departed from His ways, and turning back to Him. 

2) Rather than turning to themselves and their own ideas, they cry out to God for His help!  They had the Ark back in the Land, but they don't try to retrieve, it they turn to God in humbleness and confession of their need for His help.

3) Samuel sacrifices a lamb, a clear prophetic link to Jesus, the true Lamb of God, and God answers their cry and prayers!  He hears our cries when we turn to Him humbly!  He has paid the price for our sins, He has been wounded for our healing!  He has defeated the enemy!

4) When God intervenes, He thunders from Heaven, and by the time the Israelites join the battle it is effectively all ready over!


Thus, as we consider these two stories, we find that God does not help the prideful and arrogant, but helps the humble, those that turn to Him in repentance.  One of the sets of verses from 1 Peter that I happened just to read this morning, says the same thing - 1 Peter 5:5-7 NIV:

[5] "In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

[6] "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. [7] Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you."


Thus, this morning I am encouraged to look at my life, to see where I am forgetting to seek the Lord, looking to see if there are areas or things that I am trying to do on my own power, in my own arrogance, areas where I am not asking for His help, but just expecting it!  I am encouraged to look at my life and change how I am thinking and acting in any of the areas that the Lord highlights.  He truly is my Rock of Help, but I need to turn to Him to receive it!  He is not being spiteful, but rather honoring my free will.  If I ask for help He is ready and willing to help, but if I don't ask for His help, He will let me try to wage the battle on my own, but gently encouraging me to remember and turn back to Him for help and guidance.

Thank You Lord for Your encouragement and help!  You do care for me!

Amen!

May the Lord, in His mercy and compassion help you this day!  May His peace, which is founded in His faithfulness settle in your heart and mind.


Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment